Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering really.. what gear combo and ratios does everyone spend most time in?? like what`s your cruising gear... not to compare myself to as right now.. there isn`t a RB in my 1 bike staple.. and yes I do miss the efficiency a RB provides on roads instead of using knobbies

anyhoo.. what chainring tooth count and sprocket tooth count and final drive ratio (sprocket divided by ring) do you guys spendmost time in?

when I had my RB, I spend most time on 53 and 17 giving me a ratio of 0.32:1

hmmm one heck of an overdrive! lol

now on the MTB the road miles get logged with 42 and 17.. ratio of 0.40:1

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Gear ratio alone is the wrong measure, since you're comparing bikes with different size wheels. Your final "drive ratio" (how far you go for a given number of turns of the crank) depends also on the wheel size.

The measure most commonly used is the somewhat archaic "gear inches," which is the diameter of an equivalent direct-drive wheel. If you use gear inches, people around here will understand it.

Your Mtb 42x17, with a typical 2.125 tire, would be about 64 inches. The 53x17, with a 23mm tire is about 82 inches.

When I ride a bike with lots of gears, I use lots of gears. There isn't one that I spend the "most time" in. It depends on the conditions.

On the other hand, I ride a fixed gear a lot. I can say with certainty that when I leave on my commute home in a few minutes, I will spend the whole way turning a 39x14 73-inch gear.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,418 Posts
It depends on what I'm doing.
I could

1) be on a solo recovery ride
2) be on a "tempo" ride
3) be on a medium "group ride"
4) be on a "Thursday night Hero ride"
5) be doing a Criterium

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JCavilia said:
Gear ratio alone is the wrong measure, since you're comparing bikes with different size wheels. Your final "drive ratio" (how far you go for a given number of turns of the crank) depends also on the wheel size.

The measure most commonly used is the somewhat archaic "gear inches," which is the diameter of an equivalent direct-drive wheel. If you use gear inches, people around here will understand it.

Your Mtb 42x17, with a typical 2.125 tire, would be about 64 inches. The 53x17, with a 23mm tire is about 82 inches.

When I ride a bike with lots of gears, I use lots of gears. There isn't one that I spend the "most time" in. It depends on the conditions.

On the other hand, I ride a fixed gear a lot. I can say with certainty that when I leave on my commute home in a few minutes, I will spend the whole way turning a 39x14 73-inch gear.
I`m aware of gear-inches and how it works.. I was merely curious if there was a trend so to speak.. a rough ballpark ratio where most of us hang around for the most part
if I understand the 3 replies.. you guys are pretty much constantly shifting up and down.. even on the flats?? that`s the part I find odd.. theres gotta be a `fave` gear we all ride in more than others..I know for me it means averaging around speed x.. it`s just where I feel comfortable spinning on whatever bike I`m on.. RB or MTB the speed just differs from one to another.. and so does the ratio... most likely the gear-inch is damn close though I`m betting but I`m not after that number as it usually depends on terrain and fitness.. whereas gear ratio is simply that amoot pointless number we use more than another one

·
Folsom City Blues...
3,383 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
It depends on what I'm doing.
I could

1) be on a solo recovery ride
2) be on a "tempo" ride
3) be on a medium "group ride"
4) be on a "Thursday night Hero ride"
5) be doing a Criterium
What Mr Grumpy said...

Peace :cool:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Well, I'm gonna go ahead and actually answer the question. I prolly spend most of my time in the 52x21(3rd biggest cog)...which roughly equates to about 18pmh @ 95 rpm on the flats.

For me, its a comfortable go-to gear which I needn't change too often as I can go up small hills without too much trouble. About 17.5-18mph is the average pace I try to maintain.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Mr. G is correct...
It all depends what I am doing, on any given ride I might go through every gear I have. Why would I even try to pin one magic gear down unless I was building a fixie?

1) Climbs
2) Descents
3) Rollers
4) Spin recovery
5) Spirited fast
6) Town Sign Sprints

·
Registered
63 Posts
M-theory said:
Well, I'm gonna go ahead and actually answer the question. I prolly spend most of my time in the 52x21(3rd biggest cog)...which roughly equates to about 18pmh @ 95 rpm on the flats.

For me, its a comfortable go-to gear which I needn't change too often as I can go up small hills without too much trouble. About 17.5-18mph is the average pace I try to maintain.
exactly the same as that! or 42x17 (same ratio, but i'll settle into this or 52x21 depending on whether im already in the big ring or little ring)

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
kthung said:
exactly the same as that! or 42x17 (same ratio, but i'll settle into this or 52x21 depending on whether im already in the big ring or little ring)
thirded

this is where I spend the most time

1 - 11 of 11 Posts