Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious if there is any Hub or BB that uses SABB, Self Aligning Ball Bearing.

Not the "plastic" Ball Bearing body of Rotor SABB BB, but actual SABB bearings.

Just curious.

·
Use my Apps :)
959 Posts
Oh yeah man, with my massive watts and super high cadence I need these things in my BB in a jiffy. :)

Seriously, they do look pretty cool from an engineering point of view. My guess is they could trickle into some bike products at some point whether we need them or not. I was not familiar with them but this video was very informative IMO.
https://youtu.be/W5AzPHJrZlk

·
Registered
982 Posts
Depending on the cost, bearings that allow lower tolerances would be appealing to manufacturers.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Self-aligning ball bearings are used where the shaft is bending a lot. That's not a problem with BBs or front axles as the bearings are are either end of an axle and the forces are on the ends of the axle. Most rear hub designs leave quite a bit of axle unsupported on the DS. (the hub and freehub run side by side on a common axle). With those SABBs might be useful. But I'd bet that the added drag from the double row balls would be more than the drag that's added due to axle flex, at least with modern large diameter axles.

Cup and cone bearings as used in Shimano hubs can tolerate a certain amount of axle flex/bend.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Neat idea and very informative video linked by MisterMike.

I see this as allowing pressfit BBs to have lower tolerances coming out of the factory and letting the bearing adjust yielding less creaking. Total cost would probably be neutral as the BB will be cheaper but the bearing will be more expensive. Good for the rider as there will be less chance of a creaking BB and possibly increased durability because of better alignment. Bad for the rider because (I imagine) the bearing will have more weight and more resistance because of the increased number of and race contact of ball/barrel. Granted, the weight/resistance will be close to negligible (especially for a weekend warrior like me) and durability likely comes more from external sources like water/dirt than the possible load/alignment.

Beyond that, it'll just be another pure marketing point like ceramic bearings. Though thankfully not a planned obsolescence issue like different BB standards, disc breaks, etc. You can keep your bike and spend as much or as little as you want on your bearing.

·
Registered
20,820 Posts
Neat idea and very informative video linked by MisterMike.

I see this as allowing pressfit BBs to have lower tolerances coming out of the factory and letting the bearing adjust yielding less creaking.
Lower tolerances would mean the bearings are more likely to move. Which would increase creaking.

The housing (BB) still needs to be bored to the same tolerances for a press fit bearing. The only thing a self aligning bearing does is aid in misalignment. This is helpful on very large components, welded structures, etc where maintaining alignment is difficult. On small bearings like a BB, the housing can be bored/reamed in one step. Alignment is not an issue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.