Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had success finding the value of their bike on bicyclebluebook.com and then also selling it for that price or close to it because of that stated value?

Just wondering since Im looking for another way to sell and price my TarmacSL3 other than ebay.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone had success finding the value of their bike on bicyclebluebook.com and then also selling it for that price or close to it because of that stated value?

Just wondering since Im looking for another way to sell and price my TarmacSL3 other than ebay.

Thanks!
All I can find on that website is the original MSRP value. Does anyone know if there ia a website which can provide current values like Kelly Blue Book provides for vehicles?

Thank You

·
δanned
7,006 Posts
You could try Priceonomics. They said my 2005 Orbea Onix is estimated at $1640 with an acceptable range of $1536-1743. Below there is also data from listings showing what individuals asked when they sold theirs. It ranges from $975-2000.

http://priceonomics.com/bikes/orbea/onix-ultegra/?q=Orbea+Onix+Ultegra&fs=1

Then you could also try The Cheap Bike Shop with their used bicycle calculator. Again, using my same '05 Onix which I listed in "good" condition, the estimated private party value is $1505, so it's not that far from the first source.

Used Bicycle Value Calculator

·
old school drop out
1,578 Posts
Finding a similar bike on eBay is going to be more accurate than any price guide.

A bike is worth what someone somewhere is willing to pay for. The more eyes that see the bike, the higher the potential price. So a bike sold for "local buyers only" is unlikely to sell for the same price if the same bike were sold "nation-wide."

Also, the price you'll get will vary wildly based on what other options buyers have. If there are lots of buyers in your town, and you're the only seller, you'll do well. If on the other hand there are many sellers of bikes that are similar to yours (i.e. the same component range) and few buyers you'll get much less money.

Use eBay to get an estimate, and then be prepared to sell if for that price +/- 25% of the eBay price - and probably less if you sell it locally only (unless someone locally really wants "that" bike).

If a price guide says your Trek is worth $1000 but someone on Craigslist is selling a similarly equipped Giant for $500. Your bike will not sell.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.