Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building my 2013 C59 and was wondering if someone can answer a question I have. The top tube has internal brake cable runs. When running brake cable thru hole do you use casing thru the whole top tube out the other end? Or do you cut casing at opening and run cable to other opening then install casing again at the hole? Also, if you cut casing at hole do you use ferrules at hole or just stick casing into hole for a good fit? Any help would be appreciated.

Mar

·
Registered
89 Posts
I too am building a 2013 c59.

Can anyone explain the new Top Cap that has no bolt/screw? Is it supposed to just sit loosely in the steerer tube? Are spacers above the stem not permitted? Help!

·
Registered
302 Posts
you can run spacers above the stem

topcap has a hole per usual for the topcap bolt

there will be two top covers/dust covers. the shorter one needs to be installed, the taller one optional, and would slip on right over the short one.

compression plug goes in steerer tube. tighten to spec.

·
Registered
89 Posts
There is no bolt. Its a new headset system where it uses a 70mm top cap rather than a plug. Supposedly tightening the headset and stem will keep it snug but i dont think thats possible without distorting the steerer. Working with a former LBS owner and colnago expert, we cant figure this out. Anyone get this system on a 2013 c59? The top cap has no bolt and has ernesto's signature and the clover.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Here are 3 images in my album -

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/members/mlin/albums/c59/

You can see the new headset system which allows you to tighten using a 2mm allen key.

Then there's a 70mm top cap that just sits right in the steerer tube. There's not much resistance placing into the tube and it's not loose in it either.

So the only logical way to keep this snug, is to somehow compress the steerer tube through the tightening of the stem or headset, but that's not really possible...

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As for the top cap, I will look at mine and get back to you. So you are running no expansion plug just tighten the collar in white to clamp steerer tube. You will need something to attach top cap to. Email colnago America they are quick to respond.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just went to colnago website. Sems they have 2 integrated headsets an x and a y. X uses expansion plug Y uses collar to tighten to hold steerer tube and you put top cap in top of STM and tightening that looks like it will hold top cap in place. Looks like top cap is attached to a tube that slides into steerer tube atop of stem.thats what I have. Wonder why soe bikes come with x some with y will email Colnago will post response.

Mar

·
Registered
89 Posts
What you said is what is logical...

Thanks for the tidbit as I was able to find headset Y on the Colnago site. What is really baffling is that the instructions provided leaves out what to do about the Top Cap. There is a plastic ring you stick into the fork and then just tighten the headset with 2mm allen key. The Top Cap fits nicely into the steerer tube and there's not way tightening the stem or the headset will compress the steerer tube to hold the top cap.

The instructions mentions 3 pieces - the plastic ring that goes into the fork, and the 2 pieces that make up the headset. That's all I received in addition to the Top Cap. It's like there's a piece missing ...

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay, just looked at my instructions and pieces in bag. The headset has three pieces 2 metal and plastic insert that slides into frame around steerer tube. The other piece is top cap with long tube attached to it so it slides into steerer tube above stem. It seems the headset when you tighten the screw turns top half by hitting the post and it jams steerer tube making it tight. That's my guess, but we will probably need someone with more of an engineering background to Explain how it works. As for the top cap I'm thinking it just sits on top, or when you tighten Stem it causes the steerer tube to clamp the top cap, can't see how the steerer tube can be squeezed without cracking. The headset just adjusts bearing load the stem actually holds the fork in frame so it does not fall out.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Right... the instructions seem to leave out the Top Cap part...

Tightening the stem or headset, in either sequence first, has no effect on the steerer tube. I can easily pull out the Top Cap after both are tightened.

And the Top Cap can't just rest, because that would then not allow spacers above the stem. Plus, I rode my bike today and the top cap rattled on rough pavements so i had to take it out and ride with open steerer tube.

I emailed Colnago per your suggestion. Maybe you're just supposed to grease the Top Cap fully so it just sticks in the steerer? Who knows because there were no instructions...

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yea, that's what I was thinking, rattle rattle. I don't know but kind of a bad design on such an expensive bike. I was thinking that too, if you wanted spacers on top they would not be hold place. I'm thinking just buy a regular top cap and expansion plug and go that route with that headset or see if Colnago will swap with type X or the dealer you purchased it from. Let us know what Colnago's response is.

Mar

·
Registered
89 Posts
Thanks for the link... those were the instructions I followed.

I think the problem is that because the Top Cap is 70mm, that limits the number of spacers you are allowed. I think the max permitted is like 30mm, and I'm currently around 32 (due to initial cut). A certain part of the Top Cap must need to overlap the headset area. I found only 3 pictures of new Colnagos with this headset and they had 10mm below stem, 10 mm above stem, and 30mm below stem. I plan on cutting another 7mm and hope it will work.

Colnago did reply and say the Top Cap should be held by compression of the headset.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
After reading the directions on ACROS website it looks like te top cap olnagoprovides will just sit in the steerer tube loose. I guess you tighten stem while pressing into headset and the tighten bolt in headset which cases the 2 halves to expand putting pressure on bearings to adjust preload. No top cap is needed according to directions so I guess spacers above stem is a no no with this piece. Pretty cool design I must say.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I noticed that icabod and gofast and I all ordered from Maestro.

Mike had told me that the top cap is secured by the pressure of the stem whereas Colnago told me it was by the headset. Nevertheless, the Acros site shows that the headset is independently built from the top cap. Ernesto is very anti-spacer which explains the standard 70mm top cap.

If you look at the Maestro site, for his bike images on page 1, image #1 and #6 show C59's with this headset and top cap. In one, there is a 10mm spacer above, and in another, there is a 10mm spacer below the stem. On page 2, image #6 shows 30mm spacer below which I'm currently assuming to be the max allowed by the top cap.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.