Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Formerly BianchiSteel
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the frame I made while working as an apprentice to framebuilder Joe Bringheli, back in 1999. I FINALLY got around to fixing her up for riding! All Campy, of course. Today I finally finished her up and got her on the road. The seat is from my 1966 Schwinn Paramount, the origianl Brooks Professional that came off that bike.

A few things still needed...bar tape, trim and cap the ends of the cables, and get new tires for the other set of wheels (these are borrowed from my Bianchi).

Finally - a happy man! :D This was a long time coming...the first ride!!!

·
Zeppelin/Ultegra Rider
930 Posts
We need close-ups....of the lugged areas specifically. Good lookin' ride, I like the blue details on yellow.

·
Twitterpated
3,116 Posts
AWESUM!

It must be really satisfying to ride something that you built with your own hands. I hope you ride a lot of happy miles on it. Some day, I'm going to take one of those two week courses that allows you to build your own frame.

Enjoy,
Tshirt

·
Formerly BianchiSteel
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the compliments. I'll work on getting some close-up pictures of the lugs.

Yeah, it feels SO good to finally ride it. It was literally blood and sweat during the construction of the frame and fork...cut my hand wide open, needed stitches, and have a nice scar - all from filing down the tubes by hand! :) Makes it all the sweeter.

·
Twitterpated
3,116 Posts
~OUCH!~

So, since I know nothing about building a frame. Let me ask you, what do you use to file a frame? Is it a power tool?

Also, how are lugs and tubes joined? Are they welded on the inside? 'Cause there's no solder on the outside.

Maybe dumb questions, I know, but I'm really curious and would love to do what you have done some day.

Thanks,
Tshirt

·
Formerly BianchiSteel
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TShirt,

I learned the old school way...all by hand. Cut each tube and filed it using different size and patterned files. Those tube edges are sharp!

The lugs and tubes are joined by brazing...basically heating the joint up REALLY hot using an Oxy/Acetylene torch, and melting 56% (what we used) brazing rod into the joint. Pretty cool.

And like one of my teachers used to say...there are no dumb questions!

·
Incredibly slow
545 Posts
T-shirt said:
~OUCH!~

So, since I know nothing about building a frame. Let me ask you, what do you use to file a frame? Is it a power tool?

Also, how are lugs and tubes joined? Are they welded on the inside? 'Cause there's no solder on the outside.

Maybe dumb questions, I know, but I'm really curious and would love to do what you have done some day.

Thanks,
Tshirt
Check this out, an Aussie woman has made a few lugged frames on her own:

http://www.littlefishbicycles.com/frame/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts