Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I built up this raleigh '90 frame and thought it would be really funky to get a matching frame pump for it. Are there any such businesses that do this sort of work? I'm in the Portland, OR area, and while there are custom frame builder/painters in the immediate area I'm pretty certain this sort of job would simply be to small of a project to take on. Any ideas? Is (correctly) painting a stock frame pump with metal finish a simple process?

thanks,
K2

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
You could go to a paint dealer and have them match the paint on the frame. Buy a Blackburn FP and paint it. The problem is the paint COULD chip off. I've painted al seaposts and had good results. You could stick with the aluminum Blackburn or find an NOS Silca chrome. They are out there. The problem is finding a Silca NOS steel pump head. I hear the plastic pump heads don't work for beans.

Nice job on the frame.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
What about car touch-up paint?

I painted three or four pumps back when I cared about stuff matching, and they came out fine. Krylon works great and is pretty durable, but you probably can't find an exact match. Look in someplace like Kragen Auto Supply for car touch-up paint in spray cans, then try not to have the pump pop off and skitter down the road very often.

·
What the Hell is going on
5,527 Posts
Couldn't resist

Yeah, Joe Bell does sell matching painted frame pumps. I believe the prices may have gone up but the Slica's were $50 and the Zefal HPX were $75. Here's a picture of my Joe Bell painted Scwhinn Wheaties Paramount (with matching Silca frame pump).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.