Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Custom decals?

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  orange_julius 
#1 ·
Has any of you guys/girls ever had custom decals made for your bikes?
We're thinking of getting team decals made for our bikes. Thanks in
advance for your suggestions.

#2 ·
One option...

...which I'm in the process of trying, is making them yourself, providing you can create or scan in artwork on your PC. I have a couple of VooDoo Wazoos that are afflicted with the classic VooDoo eczema (i.e., the decals have chipped and flaked badly over the years, due to the quaint practice of not clear-coating), and I was never able to locate a replacement source. I'm carefully removing the old decals, and mounting them on a sheet of acetate; I'll have a friend scan them, then I'll download them on my computer and clean them up using Paint, and then print them on decal paper which is available for inkjet printers. It'll be interesting to see how it works.

One note--the few businesses I contacted about creating decals for me were prohibitively expensive. It might be O.K. if you're spreading out the cost throughout your club, but it wasn't worth it for me.

#3 ·
I made my own

I made some Bianchi decals for my fixie project. They aren't dead nuts on, but close enough. I used a couple different programs to do it. MS Paint gave me the jagged edges, so I used a different program for design. Word works fine for letters, and I think you can use powerpoint for graphics. I bought clear decal paper off ebay to print them on. 10 sheets was about 15 bucks or so. Bear in mind, that if your decal has white in it, you either have to use white decal paper and trim it perfectly around the edge, or paint the tube white under that area of the decal. Not being particularly talented, or patient, I broke down and bought one decal for my bike that had white in it.

#4 ·
Had some made

I went to a local sticker shop and had them scan my signature onto 1mm thick mylar. I had sizes for the down tube and seat tube in a normal bike logo size, a small logo for my top tube back at the seattube junction and my initials for the head tube. Total cost for the project.... $12.43 after tax, and it was done the same day.

Russ

#5 ·
That's pretty cool..cheap and easy. Any internet options?(nm)

russw19 said:
I went to a local sticker shop and had them scan my signature onto 1mm thick mylar. I had sizes for the down tube and seat tube in a normal bike logo size, a small logo for my top tube back at the seattube junction and my initials for the head tube. Total cost for the project.... $12.43 after tax, and it was done the same day.

Russ

#6 ·
Why bother with the net?

Go to a local sticker shop if one is in your area. You can take your stuff up there, see various options, take a look at their work samples, show them your art and tell them what you want to have made, and they make it. Mine was done the same day... with the net, it would have been a week at the very least. Why bother?

Don't get me wrong, I know some people live in small towns and stuff like that, but why is it that some people would rather trust that kind of work to some faceless company over the net? Go to a local place, meet the people you are giving your money too. Talk to them and there shouldn't be any miscommunication about what you want. And see samples in person to decide if their work is good enough for you. If the rock, or if they suck, at least you know right away. With internet work, you are taking your chances until you get the completed project back. And sometimes you may still have to pay for it if it sucks.

Just my little rant, but there are sometimes when the net isn't the answer. When I want to see the work in person first is one of those times.

Russ

#7 ·
sticker shop and clear cote

russw19 said:

Russ
Hmm, sticker shop. I take it that is something different from my local sign maker? I wonder if there is one in the area here?

Also, what do you do for clear cote after you put on your stickers/decals?

#8 ·
I have had custom and commercial decals made

The local sticker shop and sign shop are usually one and the same. First, I am assuming you want vinyl decals made. Having the decals cut usually means that they will have to go through a computer controlled vinyl plotter/cutter. Ask the shop what software compatibilities their plotter/cutter will accept, although most usually have multiple formats. I have used CorelDraw which allows you to create your own custom images and will allow you to trace images that you download (i.e. trace a specific company logo). This is what most sign shops charge alot for, but if you do the design yourself and take them a disk, it wont cost you very much. I have had 8.5 x 14" sheets of decals made for about $15 ( up to two colors). If you want multiple color designs, then that will be more expensive becuase they have to use a dye sub printer. I have many designs already done in CorelDraw so if there is something you are interested in, let me know.

#9 ·
Team logo for toptube

Thanks for all the responses, I'll ask some local shops here to see what they
can do for us. We're looking to make decals out of our team logo for the toptubes.
If I'm ambitious, maybe even with my name on it or something, although I think
I am risking becoming a fred that way. Need to get faster first :).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.