Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So let's say you're about to place a deposit for a new frame from a smaller frame builder that has about a year's wait. If you have everything taken care of detail-wise, and your "spot in fabrication" has been reserved, what's the protocol? Here are some questions that I have...

How does one make sure things are going smoothly and your place in line and approximate wait time until delivery remain constant?

How do you determine if the price now will be the same as when the frameset is ready for delivery?

Once you've had a couple of conversations with the builder and sent the deposit in, how often should the builder contact you (if at all)?

Basically, I would hate to be the kind of custom-bike person who is always calling the builder and become an annoyance, but I sure would hate for a year's wait time to turn in to 18 months to 24 months and at a more expensive price. And if all the details are taken care of at the beginning, is that worth something (not monetary wise)?

·
Decrepit Member
1,813 Posts
Talk to the builder up-front and pose the same questions directly to him/her.

If you're not satisfied with the answers, take your business elsewhere. If he gives you a reasonable time interval for you contact him to make sure everything is on track and you decide to commission your new frameset with him, he can't then complain that you're bugging him too often since he's the one who told you how often to check with him for progress updates.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.