Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I am 6'1" with 36 inseam and 180lbs and I had opportunity to test ride specialized roubaix expert size 58 and cannondale synapse size 56. Both are great but first is too long and second too low so I've decided to go custom. Based on my experience I came to such numbers:
ST (CT):?
ST Angle: 72°
TT (Horiz.): 575mm
BB Drop: 75mm
CS Length: 415mm
HT Angle: 73°
HT Length: 225mm
stem: 120mm/-6°
bb to saddle: 81.8cm
saddle to handlebar: 7-8cm
I am considering 5, 7 and 10 degree top tube slope and I'd like to know how long the seat tube should be in each case [ST(c-t) - ST(c-c) = 35mm]. Graphs are welcome.
Thx

·
Registered
190 Posts
builder

Have you chosen the builder? You should discuss that with him. the 3 contact points are all a good builder needs. The TT slope is mostly an esthetic decision.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The TT slope is mostly an esthetic decision
I've chosen Orlowski, Polish framebuilder.He didn't recommend flat top tube (because of a long headtube) or seat tube shorter than 550mm. He also mentioned that it is mostly esthetic and wouldn't like to push me in any direction.

Use the free Bike CAD application
I tried it but whenever I click on road design it shut down a browser (mozilla and IE)

·
Registered
313 Posts
Prem said:
I've chosen Orlowski, Polish framebuilder.He didn't recommend flat top tube (because of a long headtube) or seat tube shorter than 550mm. He also mentioned that it is mostly esthetic and wouldn't like to push me in any direction.

I tried it but whenever I click on road design it shut down a browser (mozilla and IE)

Good luck in your venture.

Remember most framebuilders will build a bike around you without holding to any predescribed numbers that you think you need. You get what you get to make the bike work for you, so those above numbers are highly subject to some change. That is the main difference in going custom, you'll be in your sweet spot with room to adjust either way if/when needed.

Now you can hurry up and wait.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Wow, I have the exact same proportions as you (186 cm tall, 92cm inseam), and had the same problems as you described. After looking for a bike that I could set up perfectly I gave up and had a custom built steel bike by Marinoni. They just finished the frame and I should get it next week.

I went with a 570mm top tube with a 73 degree STA, so I think the reach is the same as with your setup. Even that setup allows me to have only a 100mm stem, and I wouldn't like to go lower than that.

However I went with traditional geometry (not the sloping top tube) mainly for aesthetics and also because I didn't want my seatpost to stick out too much. That made my seat tube at about 59 cm c-c or 60 c-t (it's a Columbus Spirit frame with Zona rear triangle, so the tubes are a bit thicker).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all.

I've run bike cad programe on second computer without problem. I like compact frames and with 225mm headtube and level toptube it would look like a truck. I'll stick to 575mm ST (c-t) which gives 10 degree slope.

iamnotfilip what about painting scheme - I will have 3/4 white frame, black rear triangle and black panel with white letters and red edges.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Paint is totally personal. I chose a metallic orange which I was going to pair with black components and wheels. But now upon the builders suggestion he dipped the chainstay into chrome, so I have to work it out a bit. The orange came out a bit darker then I expected, but I think it will look good with both orange and chrome so I have some choices.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I am the same physical dimensions as you. 6'1"(185.4cm) with a 36" (91.8cm) inseam. I had a pro fitter design me the bike for me.

The bike has the following dimensions:

ST (CC): 56.5cm
ST Angle: 73°
TT (Horiz.): 584mm
BB Drop: 68mm
CS Length: 413mm
HT Angle: 73.5°
HT Length: 192mm
stem: 110mm/-6°
bb to saddle: 81.4cm
saddle to handlebar: 10.5cm
top tube slope: 6°

He designed the bike to be run with a 4cm saddle to bar drop with a 110mm stem in the positive position. Needless to say, this did not work out for me. Oddly enough, the more relaxed position caused back and neck pain. The more stretched out, lower position allows me to flatten my back and is far more comfortable to me, even on long rides.

I like the current bike but will be changing the geometry on my next custom, due in a couple of months. I feel that the bike is a bit too long and a tad "sluggish". I rode a size large Litespeed when on holiday and loved it. It had a 57cm top tube and 40.5cm chainstays. The bike just felt snappier and much more lively. The rest of the bike was quite similar to mine.

The new bike will have the following dimensions:

ST (CC): 56.5-57cm
ST Angle: 73°
TT (Horiz.): 570-575mm
BB Drop: 68mm
CS Length: 405-410mm
HT Angle: 73.5°
HT Length: 185-192mm
bb to saddle: 81.4cm
saddle to handlebar: 10.5cm
top tube slope: 2-4°???

Some of the reach and drop issues can be solved with different bars; compact vs non or normal vs short or longer reach.

I am not dead set on the new geometry, but I really liked the feel of the shorter bike. Us guys with LONG legs and short torsos have a bit of a fitting nightmare on our hands. There are a few bikes out there that will work well, but they end up being the "comfort" offerings, and that may not be what we are interested in.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tyro - I still admire your black sheep and planning in a few years time to order sth similar (when I get bored with orlowski and dollar will be cheap again). Your new bike will be in carbon?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Yeah, the Black Sheep is great. It's a keeper for sure. I have a CX bike due from James any day now. Should be sweet.

The next bike will be a steel Tony Pereira. http://www.pereiracycles.com/ I had a 29er mountain singlespeed from him and it absolutely blew me away. The construction, paint, ride, feel, and fit of the bike were superb. The only rub was that my bunk left knee would not take the SS. I vowed to myself that I'd have another bike built by Tony, so it had to be a roadie. My wife is getting one too, so we'll have the "his and her" set...just like bath towels! They should be ready in June or so.

I'm also on the list for a custom carbon but just can't swing it right now. Someday...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here it is. I am very happy with it but unfortunately it has been raining in Poland the whole week so I cannot say much about it. For those who are interested I am posting the final numbers:
ST (CT):585mm
ST Angle: 72°
TT (Horiz.): 575mm
BB Drop: 75mm
CS Length: 415mm
HT Angle: 72.5°
HT Length: 225mm
bb to saddle: 81.6cm
saddle to handlebar: 7cm
Happy riding to you all

1 - 13 of 13 Posts