Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
FatTireFred said:
jen green has done those for quite awhile now... a little more detail in her work
http://www.headbadges.com/id74.html

double-sided tape is how many badges are held on. silicone glue/caulk would prob work. jewelers screws for a secure old school method

I had Jen make mine...I put it on my custom fixie/SS

·
Cat 6 rider
3,090 Posts
Slim Again said:
It is not supposed to tarnish -- not sure when kind of metal alloy this is, but it is not aluminum. Now I've exhausted my knowledge of metallurgy.

And I have to say .... this post (below) is a classic!

"Whew...I looked at that quickly and it looked to me like it said "retard" but then I had a second look and read the posts........now I get it."
Unless it's coated Sterling will tarnish. If it is coated be careful with what you clean it with. A silver polish will take it right off (Windex, probably, too) and you'll be polishing it every week to keep it from turning black.

I thought it said 'retard' the first time I saw it, too :) Of course, I thought, cool- self deprecating humor. A lot of cyclists take themselves way too seriously.

·
Frog Whisperer
41,018 Posts
I just PM'd OP ....with instructions from a metalsmith (me) and reasons why..silicone caulk, BECAUSE you can saw it back off with dental floss with NO damage to either.
This happens to be hand carved from pure silver and has never been polished in well over a year

0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Nice work! And what about the wife?

ToG, that thing is handsome!

Hand-carved silver ... you don't get that on an Rolls-Royce.

DH, that looks nice -- does this tell me you're from Texas? Very sharp work she does.

PegLeg, that's a spicy badge -- but you must not be married.

·
Frog Whisperer
41,018 Posts
Argentius said:
Very nice indeed, gray.

If you ever retire, are you going to be a framebuilder in your spare time?

Actually I want to build my own frame, One of these days I will order the lugs and tube and get busy....I have faith that I would do a respectable job, I am "pretty" good with a saw and file for the lugs.....and I braze far more delicate stuff every day........not to brag but I can braze 2 sheets of gold together, literally the thickness of a piece of paper, and finish it so you couldn't tell it wasn't one piece. That's what I do....30 years now......

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.