Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Custom Insoles

13K views 26 replies 21 participants last post by  Bj0rn 
#1 ·
Has anyone had custom insoles made for their shoes? In particular Sidas custom footbeds?
Did they improve foot comfort?

#3 ·
Yes, I do have Sidas/Conformable for my Ski, Mountain and Road bike boots/shoes

They are way better than the Specialized insoles that I used before, for foot comfort and your knees.

Highly recommended, the initial cost is a bit high but they last a long time.

#5 ·
I went this route last summer when I first got into road cycling. I was having an issue with hot spots and was looking for new shoes. A poster suggested these plus some cleat wedges to adjust my foot in the shoe and the angle of the shoe in relation to the pedal. After a little experimenting, I found what I was looking for.

eSoles website, eSoles - Custom Footbeds, Insoles, 3D Foot Analysis Technology

#7 · (Edited)
Foot Fitness Homepage - We Do Feet

My fitter also represents e-soles but he said that I did not need full custom and he recommended semi-custom from Dynamic Foot Systems. Full foot scan just like custom. I was not having any problems other than noncycling specific orthotics I already had were not as supportive as the semi-custom and scrunched up under hard efforts. These insoles were worth the cost as they did improve comfort and hopefully efficiency. $150.

They take a little getting used to since the insole immobolizes your arch which is needed in cycling. They also make your shoes feel small initially. After 2-3 rides they are very comfortable. I immediately started using them in a challenging indoor Winter cycling class or the transition would have been hardly noticeable.

#26 ·
Foot Fitness Homepage - We Do Feet

My fitter also represents e-soles but he said that I did not need full custom and he recommended semi-custom from Dynamic Foot Systems. Full foot scan just like custom. I was not having any problems other than noncycling specific orthotics I already had were not as supportive as the semi-custom and scrunched up under hard efforts.
You can get custom cycling orthotics now, and if insurance covers your regular orthotics they may cover the cycling ones. Best decision (along with SpeedPlay Zeros) I ever made.

#8 ·
unless you have a specific foot issue, you can probably do fine with non-custom footbeds. I've tried lots over the years, and find the new Giro supernatural footbeds the nicest so far. They do not take up much volume in the shoe, they come with 3 arch heights, and the metatarsal pad is not so pronounced as in some. esoles are pretty good, but their metatarsal pads are large (even their small one). Comp cyclist has the giro ones and a 60 day return policy so you can try them out to really make sure they work for your foot.

#11 ·
If you have feet problems, then stay away from Specialized shoes and their products. I recommend wedofeet.com. I used to have a lot of problems. You can't go to other guys. They simply cast your foot. This is not too good! Most podiatrists don't seem to understand cycling.

Bill Petersen understands cycling. He can cut the right insert for your shoes. It will fit perfectly inside a sidi shoe of the right size. I actually CAN NOT get this from the podiatrist.

Bill

#16 ·
I do have foot problems, they pronate, collapsing arch (but not flat footed)... and specialized products work fine for me on the bikes.

Podiatrists focus mainly on walking. Casting your feet is one method of getting the foot profile to send to the pedorthist to make the orthotic.

When it came to my snowboard boots, I went to a pedorthist in Manhattan. My podiatrist isn't trained in the world of skiing applications (which he is also a skiier)....back to the snowboard boots... he made an imprint of my feet, evaluated my feet, evaluated my snowboard boots, etc.... made the orthotic insole and gave me the plaster cast of my foot he used to form the orthotic.

#13 ·
All my regular shoes and cycling shoes have Superfeet insoles. I have tried eSoles and wasn't comfortable. Everyone is different.

I have mid to high arch. My foot arch was collapsing when pedaling the down stoke. It was giving me foot and knee issues. My doctor suggested me to try Superfeet and it helped.

#17 ·
Another eSoles user here. Have a set of Specialized Blue ++ insoles as well and when I switch from the eSoles to the Spec I notice that it doesn't feel like my whole foot is pushing down anymore. With the eSoles I feel like my whole foot is flat and I can push down much more evenly throughout it.

1 Caveat to this though is eSoles in Spec shoes. I can wear this combo although it is always sort of *present*, think it might be the design of the Spec shoes in general. I feel like the eSoles work best with a mostly flat/neutral shoe...basically anyone but Fizik or Spec

#23 ·
Will be getting a pair of Factor's later this week, can't wait to see how the Supernatural Fit Kit works. I like my eSoles quite a bit however I am having a hell of a time finding shoes that I can wear them in that they either:
1.Actually fit properly because the shoe is relatively flat (not Spec or Fizik)
2.Don't take up so much volume that my mid foot is crushed (Sidi specifically)

I feel like getting shoes to fit will be significantly easier with something like the Supernatural Fit kit for Giro shoes since the shoe is already designed for that footbed in it.

I plan to try the Fizik too since I might be able to wear them without the eSoles due to the high arch which would help my fit issues quite a bit.

#25 ·
Those SOLE look decent however the problem I have with Specialized insoles I think will exist here too. The issue with Specialized insoles compared to eSoles is how "soft" the arch support actually is.

There is a fair amount of give to it allowing the arch to still collapse some. I think this is why the medium arch for Specialized, although being the exact same height as the medium arch for eSoles feels less supportive and like I'm loosing some of that solid connection throughout my whole foot to the pedal/shoe.

#27 ·
Also look into E-soles. I have been very happy with mine. Price is not to bad around $50 USD.
Trek Online has eSole Complete Kits on sale for $16 - $25 after tax and shipping. I got a set last week, did a couple rides with them and like them so much I just ordered another pair.

I use green Superfeet in all my other shoes but for my cycling shoes, I really like the 4 choices of arch height and the 2 choices of metatarsal pads the eSoles have.

I don't have enough posts to post a link, but just Google 'Trek bikes eSoles Complete Kits sale' and it will be the first result.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.