Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Juanmoretime
2,203 Posts
Both and neither.

What model and what interests you to narrow it down to these two companies? If round tubes are your thing go for the Seven. If highly manipulated tubes, as in several Litespeed models are what excites you but the off the rack sizing doesn't work for you, go for the Litespeed. You could toss Moots and Dean into the mix as other options.

·
Banned
608 Posts
mikey_mike said:
Which do you prefer over the other and why?
No question at all. Seven. Seven was started by people who refused to be assimilated by Litespeed when they bought Merlin.

Aside from Litespeed being a large mega corp that stomped on the souls of smaller companies like Merlin and Quintana Roo, if you get a custom Litespeed then you'll end up paying retail prices. Only a moron pays retail prices for a Litespeed. Anyone with a clue waits until Fall when they blow their surplus frames/bikes for the prices they should have been selling at in the first place.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Ok, I'll play, the custom Litespeed because I like the way the bike looks and the cachet of having a custom bike.

Not a very good reason is it? Just what is your point? You fish for another man's opinion and you are no closer to making up your own mind.

·
Registered
277 Posts
neither - you can get an even better ride for much less $$ if you do a tiny bit of research. But if you insist on a bling bike, be sure to get a pr of Lightweight wheels and Zero Gravity Ti brakes to complete the zoot setup. Course you'll want the triple or compact w/ the riser stem too :)

·
Banned
653 Posts
mikey_mike said:
Since you mentioned custom, I would say neither. For me I started with the same question.
Since I meet some Ti frame builders recently at a show, I would consider Kish, Strong, etc.
IMO, for a custom frame, I would like a builder with the most experience I can find. Can you be guaranteed the builder of your choice in a big company, and not some apprentice. However, I do like Merlin over and above Litespeed. You will not make a mistake, you will just choose one experience/senario over another, good luck.

·
my legs hurt
1,012 Posts
Since money does not seem to be an issue, I would prefer seven (met one of them on the trail...cool guys) There are other choices out there for custom ti:
Carl strong, strong frames, beautiful work
Desalvo
Black sheep: probably my choice http://www.blacksheepbikes.com/
davidson, only seen one, it was drool worthy
If you can wait two years, see if you can convince jeff jones to build a road frame

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
mikey_mike said:
Why don't you ride them to see which you like? Both make fine bikes. Some don't like Seven and the way they interpret fit. Some don't like Litespeed because they're bigger than other Ti manufacturers.

So what.

Ride 'em and let that help you make up your mind. All you'll find here is a bunch of bike religion scripture and misinformation. Juanmoretime gave you some good beta.

I like my Moots, but that doesn't mean you will.

·
Registered
128 Posts
How would you decide between a custom Litespeed or a Merlin?

I would find the Merlin much more exciting, mainly because of the Tom Kellogg influence. In fact, my answer to your question would be to go see TK and then have a custom Merlin built.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I chose litespeed and seven because they are the only ones that do have dealers here in the Philippines, probably thinking of warranty issues someday and the ease of having the dealers bring them in tnx for all the insights.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts