Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you know a person or business in the Puget Sound area that would custom paint a fork? I'm interested in having a Ritchey UD Carbon Pro fork (black) done to match the Lightning White CAAD9 BB30 frameset I ordered last month. It seems the frameset won't be ready for a while, so I may have time to locate a place and have this done, as I already have the fork and I'm getting the paint code for the frameset as we speak. The job may or may not also include having decals added as well.

If any of you have used someone for that purpose in this area (or know someone I could ship the fork to), please let me know.

Thanks guys!
Chris

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
toomanybikes said:
A good auto body shop or custom motorcycle shop will paint it for you.
Is that how most people end up having this done? If so, does anyone have any experience with a body shop or custom motorcycle shop in this area? Very vague cost estimate?

Thanks for the quick response - I didn't even have time to finish a banana before you responded (NOT code!) :thumbsup:

G

·
I had a vintage frame painted by the local Audi dealer in their in house shop, I used one of the stock colours so that scheduling would be easy.

Cost to paint and bake it was $100.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
toomanybikes said:
I had a vintage frame painted by the local Audi dealer in their in house shop, I used one of the stock colours so that scheduling would be easy.

Cost to paint and bake it was $100.
Thanks for the info :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Elliot Bay Cycles down on Western Ave. in downtown Seattle will do that for you and they do a very good job. I had an Easton EC 90 SLX carbon fork painted there just this last fall and it came out very nice, it was around 80$. The same person paints the Davidson frames I believe.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rot Weiss Essen said:
Elliot Bay Cycles down on Western Ave. in downtown Seattle will do that for you and they do a very good job. I had an Easton EC 90 SLX carbon fork painted there just this last fall and it came out very nice, it was around 80$. The same person paints the Davidson frames I believe.
I'm getting the paint code sometime within the next couple of days - did that $80 include the paint or just the work? If I do it I don't know if I'd just do solid, unlabled white, or if I'd contact Cannondale to see what decals they have the match the red lettering.

-Chris

·
Registered
13 Posts
I saw on your post that you'd soon be getting the paint code for lightning white. Did you ever get it?
If so, do you mind sending me the number. I've got a for I'd like to paint to match.
Thanks,
-Sean

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sean350 said:
I saw on your post that you'd soon be getting the paint code for lightning white. Did you ever get it?
If so, do you mind sending me the number. I've got a for I'd like to paint to match.
Thanks,
-Sean
The code for the Cannondale Lightning White paint is DUPONT IMRON 6000 L3874. Also, if you care, the "Race Red" decals on both the CAAD9 5 paint jobs are Dupont chip #P34567.

Per instructions from Wesco, I substituted for a much cheaper paint, Dupont Centari. If you want to see some photos, check out the last couple of pages of my build report - http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=167402&page=4 - I'd start from around post #96.

Regards,
Chris

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No problem man

·
Registered
238 Posts
But if you want a bicycle manufacturer to paint your fork, I recommend Davidson Cycles near Pike Place Market. They painted one of mine once with custom paint to match my frame. It worked out great. Plus, they make their own bikes...super sweet steel and ti that make the place worth a visit just to gawk.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts