Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I was hoping for a less umm.. dorky look in this one, but it looks just as fred as the adjustable and I lost my handy helmet hanger. I guess there just isn`t a fred free method of getting your bars up that high above the HT. Also a bit miffed that, when I reread the post, I saw that I have a RIDER stem. What I was trying to make was a RISER stem. Maybe that`s why it doesn`t look like I expected.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Given the height of the saddle and bars, one might be temped to suggest a slightly larger frame...of course, that would likely mean a longer top tube as well.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
You made that from scratch? Impressive. You know, Salsa used to make custom versions of their stems like the SUL, but I think they quit doing that.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Andy M-S said:
Given the height of the saddle and bars, one might be temped to suggest a slightly larger frame...of course, that would likely mean a longer top tube as well.
Yeah, a TT about 2 or 3 inches higher would have been nice, but it`s a mountain bike- that`s just how they are.

Tarwheel- Yes, I made the adjustable one first and used it to figure out how tall and how high I wanted it, then I made the fixed one. Bike Friday does the same thing for some of their models.
Salsa doesn`t make matched stems for their frames anymore? I don`t know what the SUL is- maybe that was something different.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
What I was talking about is that Salsa used to make custom stems with rises and reaches different than their standard options, which you could order through a bike shop. It cost more, but you could get something out-of-the-ordinary, like the stem you made.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
Nice work!

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
That looks so good you should try a frame next.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jd3 said:
That looks so good you should try a frame next.
Thank you. My own frame is what I`m aiming towards. Meanwhile, I`ve been practicing on stems and racks along with some non bike stuff. Way back when (like two years ago), before the prospect of a $20,000 second was so terrifying, I figured I`d put up a garage this summer and then try a frame. Now that the garage has gone out the window, I`m thinking about another shed so I can empty out the nice 10 x 12 I already have and maybe give it a shot. The garage would have made things easier, but 120 sf ought to be plenty of room for the project as long as I don`t have it full of all the other crap that we have stashed in there.

·
Baltic Scum
1,826 Posts
Gotta like a guy who does some mighty nice welding and still realizes the utter ugliness of the final product.

I think it's called functionality. :eek6: :thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts