Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Cross Bike Collector.....
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm mulling over my first set of custom wheels, and have seen much of Ligero's work and talked to Mike Garcia @ Oddsanendos. Both seem nice, but Troy doesn't respond to emails (which is a concern for me, reminds me of my custom experiance with DEAN) we are on the other side of the states and I would prefer to keep the long distance phone tab down. Is there others I should be considering? I'm wanting a cross wheelset with CK hubs and Sapim CX-Ray spokes, not sure about the rims.
Please help with advice?

·
Cipo's long lost cousin
975 Posts
Common Reply

Maybe do it yourself?

There's no black magic on wheelbuilding. There are great resources on the web. As long as you don't build something crazy complicated (low spoke count wheels, exotic lacing patterns) then you should be just fine...

·
Registered
193 Posts
Phat&SlowVelo said:
but Troy doesn't respond to emails (which is a concern for me, reminds me of my custom experiance with DEAN).....Please help with advice?

I haven't bought wheels from him just yet, but have been bouncing back ideas over the last week or so and he's responded to every question very quickly. Wonder if spam is blocking emails? So far, assuming I pop for wheels, he is looking like the man.

Mark

·
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
not comfortable doing so

Steve-O said:
Maybe do it yourself?

There's no black magic on wheelbuilding. There are great resources on the web. As long as you don't build something crazy complicated (low spoke count wheels, exotic lacing patterns) then you should be just fine...
Especially with a wheelset I intend to pound in Cyclocross.

·
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no spam block

Mark16q said:
I haven't bought wheels from him just yet, but have been bouncing back ideas over the last week or so and he's responded to every question very quickly. Wonder if spam is blocking emails? So far, assuming I pop for wheels, he is looking like the man.

Mark
I have received mail from him in the past, but have sent multiple inquires over a 3 week period with no reply. Again, a concern. Are there any other builders I should be thinking of? What happen to Gravy? Did he leave Paradigm Wheelworks?

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Phat&SlowVelo said:
I have received mail from him in the past, but have sent multiple inquires over a 3 week period with no reply. Again, a concern. Are there any other builders I should be thinking of? What happen to Gravy? Did he leave Paradigm Wheelworks?
I think Gravy is MIA after leaving Gravy Wheel Works. Who is Paradigm Wheelworks? Is that the former Gravy Wheel Works?

If you have concerns over those you've spoken with, why don't ask Ergott? The Serotta BBS seems to rave about 'im. Or call Ligero.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I've had wheels made by Mike Garcia, and I'm quite happy with them. My latest set were built by Eric Gottesman from http://www.ergottwheels.com, and I highly recommend him. Before you move forward, I'd check with Eric and see what he can do for you.

·
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alienator.....

alienator said:
I think Gravy is MIA after leaving Gravy Wheel Works. Who is Paradigm Wheelworks? Is that the former Gravy Wheel Works?

If you have concerns over those you've spoken with, why don't ask Ergott? The Serotta BBS seems to rave about 'im. Or call Ligero.
Yea, I beleive Paradigm was the former Gravy Wheel works, at least that's what I remember from the website...
Who's Ergott? And who is Serotta BBS? I have talked to Troy once on the phone, prob is I can't make long distance calls from work and by the time I'm off work he's three hours ahead and probably into his evening ride. But Troy hasn't returned emails, which is how I've been trying to get ahold of him. How long have you been waitin on ur wheels Alien and what's your take on the Ligero custom process?
Mike Garcia has answered every email I've sent him. Nobody has mentioned any other wheel builders other than these two so far. I thought there would have been more options out there.........

·
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the Tip

blandin said:
I've had wheels made by Mike Garcia, and I'm quite happy with them. My latest set were built by Eric Gottesman from http://www.ergottwheels.com, and I highly recommend him. Before you move forward, I'd check with Eric and see what he can do for you.
Guess that answers the "Who is Ergott" Question. I give him a buz.
Thank you.

·
Registered
178 Posts
FYI: The wheelset Eric built for me was comprised of DT Swiss R1.1 rims laced to American Classic hubs. 28 spokes front, 32 spokes rear with DT Swiss Revolutions everywhere but the drive side rear where he used DT Swiss Competitions. They came in at 1466 grams.

·
Juanmoretime
2,313 Posts
Phat&SlowVelo said:
I'm mulling over my first set of custom wheels, and have seen much of Ligero's work and talked to Mike Garcia @ Oddsanendos. Both seem nice, but Troy doesn't respond to emails (which is a concern for me, reminds me of my custom experiance with DEAN) we are on the other side of the states and I would prefer to keep the long distance phone tab down. Is there others I should be considering? I'm wanting a cross wheelset with CK hubs and Sapim CX-Ray spokes, not sure about the rims.
Please help with advice?
Troy is a one man company so whether he's on the phone or knitting me wheel bags he not making wheels. He carries his phone with him everywhere. I know I just spent four days on and off with him and he seldom doesn't answer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.