Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Super Moderator
19,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you guys help me decide on a set of wheels?

My local wheelbuilder says he can build me a really nice set of tubular wheels. He says that someone of my weight and build could get on nicely with some Edge 1.0 38mm rims with Sapim CX ray spokes and DT 190 ceramic hubs. 20 spokes on the front (radial), 28 spokes on the back. He says he can do this for about $2100.

I am trying to decide between these custom wheels and a set of Reynolds MV 32 tubular wheels which retail for about $1750.

Any thoughts?

Also, is it worth it to spend the extra bucks for an extended warranty for the carbon rims? Reynolds asks $200 for their 3 year damage protection plan. I have never broken a rim or spoke. I have wound up with a few flat spots on my rims after years of use.

Thanks,
i.s.

G

·
I wish you had asked this question about a month ago.

I sold a set of MV 32T's with about 300 miles on them. Sold them for $900.

I didn't love carbon wheels, glad to get rid of them.

il sogno said:
Can you guys help me decide on a set of wheels?

My local wheelbuilder says he can build me a really nice set of tubular wheels. He says that someone of my weight and build could get on nicely with some Edge 1.0 38mm rims with Sapim CX ray spokes and DT 190 ceramic hubs. 20 spokes on the front (radial), 28 spokes on the back. He says he can do this for about $2100.

I am trying to decide between these custom wheels and a set of Reynolds MV 32 tubular wheels which retail for about $1750.

Any thoughts?

Also, is it worth it to spend the extra bucks for an extended warranty for the carbon rims? Reynolds asks $200 for their 3 year damage protection plan. I have never broken a rim or spoke. I have wound up with a few flat spots on my rims after years of use.

Thanks,
i.s.

· Registered
4,105 Posts
Don't know what you weigh, but 20f and 28r should be enough for quite a large person. Your builder could use the DT240 hubs (which Reynolds uses) and build with the Reynolds rims (KOM, MV, or DV)... should come in below $1750.. so I think getting them built locally is the best deal. Just need to decide on the rims and hubs you want. If you want them light and fairly aero the Edge 38s are hard to beat. Might consider using an Alchemy front hub... over 40 grams lighter than either of the DT hubs, standard ceramic bearings, USA made... and cheaper than the 190. Pull the sticker off the rear DT and they will look good together.

· Super Moderator
19,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rruff said:
Don't know what you weigh, but 20f and 28r should be enough for quite a large person. Your builder could use the DT240 hubs (which Reynolds uses) and build with the Reynolds rims (KOM, MV, or DV)... should come in below $1750.. so I think getting them built locally is the best deal. Just need to decide on the rims and hubs you want. If you want them light and fairly aero the Edge 38s are hard to beat. Might consider using an Alchemy front hub... over 40 grams lighter than either of the DT hubs, standard ceramic bearings, USA made... and cheaper than the 190. Pull the sticker off the rear DT and they will look good together.
I'm a girl so I'm no clydesdale. The builder loves the Edge composite rims and is a big fan of the Sapim spokes.

· Registered
3,270 Posts
28 spokes on the rear is likely overkill for you, you could get by with 24. I weigh 175 and all my wheels have 24 spoke rears, most were custom built, including my zipp 303s (same rim height as the Edge). They all work fine.

· Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
"I have never broken a rim or spoke."

If you're not crashin', you're not ridin' hard enough

· Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
You should go retro.
Older 9/10 speed Campy hubs, 28 hole.
GEL front GL back. 2X front and back.

· Cpark
2,106 Posts
Ligero said:
Save your money and have him use the Dt 240 hubs instead of the 190's. That should bring the price down to about the same as the Reynolds MV32's but the Edge will be a little better and lighter.
Ligero,

Could you elaborate "Edge will be a little better"?
Are they more durable and/or aero?
I'm looking at a set myself and I was leaning towards getting a set of Reynolds.

Thank you,

· Registered
4,105 Posts
Edge rims are lighter and more expensive... seem to be well designed but too early to tell about durability. At least they have held up well so far. Reynolds rims have a great rep and have been out for years.

· Descender
2,213 Posts
Il Sogno - what are you looking for the wheels to do for you?
Stiffness?
Weight - Both?
Bombproof?
Racing - what Type?
All day?

if you are petite 28 spokes is overkill - if you are under 130 lbs
you can go with a lower spoke count and still get something to meet most of your criteria - and shed mucho weight.

· Super Moderator
19,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
pdh777 said:
Il Sogno - what are you looking for the wheels to do for you?
Stiffness?
Weight - Both?
Bombproof?
Racing - what Type?
All day?

if you are petite 28 spokes is overkill - if you are under 130 lbs
you can go with a lower spoke count and still get something to meet most of your criteria - and shed mucho weight.
Lightweight, durable, good climbing wheels and aero enough to get me to the climbs. I want them to ride comfortably i.e. not jackhammer me to pieces.

I am not heavy so don't need bombproof. I am not much of a bomb. :)

· Super Moderator
19,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
rruff said:
Edge rims are lighter and more expensive... seem to be well designed but too early to tell about durability. At least they have held up well so far. Reynolds rims have a great rep and have been out for years.
Which is why I'm debating just getting a set of Reynolds wheels.

Can anyone give me some really good reasons to go for custom wheels?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.