Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im in the middle of a build up that im doing and the fork im using for this road bike is a bit too long.

I have added a couple small spacers and want to cut the fork down at this point.
I have measured with the fork installed and it looks like ill be cutting 3 to 4 threads above my top spacer. I think this will allow for my top lock nut to thread on just the right amount without bottoming out.

Are there any guidelines to this or tricks?

I was a LBS yesterday and they wanted $20 to cut off the fork which seemed a bit high considering all they have to do is put the proper jig on there and hack it off.

Im thinking that ill leave an old bearing race threaded on an the right height and use that as a guide and then cut it off that way. When i thread off the old race im hoping that cleans up the threads enough to thread on my equipment.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Why not just leave it as is and add another spacer? Seems a shame to cut down a fork, in my view. I've passed on buying several older steel bikes because the forks were cut too short for me. Once you cut it, you can't put it back, and someday you might appreciate the option of raising your bars higher.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmm...how high is too high with spacers? with my top cone threaded on where it needs to be to secure the bearings i still have 1 inch sticking above that or 25.5mm. Would it be entirely wrong for me to add 20mm worth of spacers here? Seems like alot.

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
You misunderstood, tarwheel

tarwheel2 said:
Why not just leave it as is and add another spacer? Seems a shame to cut down a fork, in my view. I've passed on buying several older steel bikes because the forks were cut too short for me. Once you cut it, you can't put it back, and someday you might appreciate the option of raising your bars higher.
It's a threaded fork. Takes a quill stem. Bar height is not affected by steerer length.

Cut it down as others have explained. No big deal, especially since you'll still have enough threaded length. I've cut some down enough so I needed to cut more threading. That was a bit more of a chore, but still doable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.