Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
If you were using a buzz saw, I'd consider it. But if you're doing it right - very slowly with a hack saw - then I seriously doubt you're kicking any particles into the atmosphere.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Richard said:
If you were using a buzz saw, I'd consider it. But if you're doing it right - very slowly with a hack saw - then I seriously doubt you're kicking any particles into the atmosphere.
I bet you are to some extent, but I think it would take prolonged exposure to do any damage. I wouldn't worry about it for the average home mechanic. For a shop guy, it couldn't hurt to wear a mask.

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
carbon nanotubeosis

Eric_H said:
they imply carbon nanotubes are the pathogen to fear but somehow I think regular carbon dust is likely not great to inhale. I have cut ~10 carbon steerers in my time and never worn a mask but I think I will from now on.
Recognize that the only folks who came down with asbestosis are those who were heavily exposed to the dust: mine workers, insulation workers, and people who cleaned their (very) dusty clothes. The chances of significant exposure to carbon nanotube dust after it has been encased in the epoxy matrix are EXTREMELY small. Just don't be sniffing that stuff as you cut it, and your worries are out the window.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
Recognize that the only folks who came down with asbestosis are those who were heavily exposed to the dust: mine workers, insulation workers, and people who cleaned their (very) dusty clothes. The chances of significant exposure to carbon nanotube dust after it has been encased in the epoxy matrix are EXTREMELY small. Just don't be sniffing that stuff as you cut it, and your worries are out the window.
Exactly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.