Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the details for cutting a carbon fork steerer with a hacksaw - 32T or carbide grit blade. But what about using one of the above blades with an electric jigsaw? Or is this complete no-no.
:confused:

·
Kant phuckin sphell
650 Posts
No

thing moves too fast. I would not do it.
I use a large cut off wheel on a Dremel tool then I file it even and smooth it out with sandpaper. I have even thought of spraying the end with a clear coat, but I think that is going to far. :0

·
Registered
491 Posts
heck no

with a hacksaw your going slow enough to controll the cut. Jigsaws vibrate and move around alot even when you try and keep them straight, and it just sounds like a problem waiting to happen. Since it only takes about 15 secs to slice a carbon steerer with a hacksaw and bench vice, I would not risk trying to use a jigsaw.

·
rebounder
572 Posts
if you have to ask, you dont know

take it to the lbs. they will charge you about $5 and the job will get done right, instead of ruining the fork you probably didnt buy from them anyway.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
naawillis said:
if you have to ask, you dont know. take it to the lbs. they will charge you about $5 and the job will get done right, instead of ruining the fork you probably didnt buy from them anyway.
If you have to ask ... you've already taken a large step forward in being able to learn something new. There is no reason that a cyclist can't learn to do their own mechanical work, and bike shops are not always the paragon of all cycling knowledge.

The advise already given is sound. The most important aspects of cutting a carbon steerer are to make a straight cut (which generally requires some type cutting quide, regardless of saw type), and to wrap the steerer (usually with tape) to keep the ends of the fibers from fraying.

As others have said, it takes under a minute to cut the steerer with a hacksaw, so there is really no advantage to using a power tool (not to mention that you can do a lot damage quickly with a power tool if you misjudge the cut).

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
in general use a hacksaw, but a jigsaw can be fine

i have done both, but have a very good bosch jigsaw with variable speed--i can make it cut slower than by hand (and slower than i'd have the patience to wait). also it cuts very straight vertically, and so if you can go forward in a straight line (or follow the edge of tape, then it works fine. i have seen some very skewed hacksaw cuts too.
however, if you have not used a jigsaw alot or if it has one speed only, then i'd follow the suggestions of doing it by hand or letting someone else do it.

good luck
jim

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Also bad to use:

1. Sawzall
2. Chainsaw
3. Weedeater
4. Lawnmower blades
5. Plasma cutting torch
6. 1000 kW lasers
7. Swiss Army Knife
8. Anything Ginzu
9. Sharp rocks
10. Powered log splitters

·
Riding towards Delmarva.
790 Posts
carbon aerobars...

how would you advise to cut a few inches off my carbon aerobars? the cut needs to be perfect I imagine to accept my Dura--Ace bar-end shifters. I don't mind buying some sort of guide to do it right, you can never have enough tools.

Help?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
no--they don't have to be perfect--i did mine fine by hand

1) by carefully wrapping with tape and then cutting on the edge of the tape as a guyide--the bar end shifters get stuck in there fine and then you can wrap a liitle bar tape onthe end--which is nice anyway for your hands--unless you can't cut even close to straight it won't matter if you slant a little.
alternately
2) go to home depot or lowes they have small straight sections of both copper and pvc used to join longer pieces--just find some the right diameter to fit over the ends of your areo bars and short enough so they slide down to where you need to cut--tape in place and then use the end of the pvc or copper pipe to serve as a straight guide for your saw (hack saw). if there are no small connecters that will work then you can buy a piece of pvc or copper pipe and have someone with a miter saw or chop saw cut a small piece off for you to use (or home depot or lowes can cut it for you)
jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts