Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 giant fork, which I now want to cut the steerertube. I assumed it had a regular compression plug but when I looked at it I had an insert in the carbon tube. Anyone tried to cut one of these before?

· Registered
10,161 Posts
??

bbolstad said:
I have a 2004 giant fork, which I now want to cut the steerertube. I assumed it had a regular compression plug but when I looked at it I had an insert in the carbon tube. Anyone tried to cut one of these before?
Does the steerer have a star nut pressed into it or is a removable plug supplied? Cutting the aluminum is no more difficult than CF, just use a 24-32T hacksaw blade.

· Registered
902 Posts
That is Giants version of a compression plug - once you remove the top cap, you should see an 8mm allen head something like this:

Loosen that cap with an 8mm allen wrench and the compression plug will either loosen or come completely loose and rattle around at the bottom of the steerer tube. You will then need to gently lever the cap out of the steerer and retrieve the alloy compression plug if it has come loose. At that point you can cut the steerer tube afterwhich you will need to reinstall the compression assembly.

· Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,086 Posts
ms6073 said:
That is Giants version of a compression plug - once you remove the top cap, you should see an 8mm allen head something like this:

Loosen that cap with an 8mm allen wrench and the compression plug will either loosen or come completely loose and rattle around at the bottom of the steerer tube. You will then need to gently lever the cap out of the steerer and retrieve the alloy compression plug if it has come loose. At that point you can cut the steerer tube afterwhich you will need to reinstall the compression assembly.

Yup, that is what is down my fork.

· Registered
902 Posts
The cap works by pulling the alloy shim/wedge up into the compression assembly when tightenting the allen head bolt. Loosen the allen head bolt and the gently tap on the allen wrench with a rubber malet or wood block to release the tension on the alloy wedge. Be aware that if you loosen the allen head bolt too much, the alloy wedge may come loose and fall to the bottom of the steerer tube. Regardless, once loosened, you may need to use a sharp edged tool to 'lever' the edge/underside of the top cap of the steerer then if the alloy wedge is loose, you will need to retrieve it from the steerer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.