Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. So im beginning to cat the weight but im feeling tired during some of the mid week work outs. I've been taking in about an average of 1200-1500 cal. per day during the week. I bump up the calories nearing the weekend (thur/fri) for the longer/more difficult riding. Here is a sample weekday:
5am: 1/2 cup oatmeal with 25 raisins and 4 walnuts w/ 1/2 cup rice milk
8:30: peach, 3 dried apricots, 1/4 cup soybeans (dry roasted)
11:30: Turkey on sprouted whole grain w/ lots o veggies,tablspoon hummus
Peach, maybe a couple strawberries or blueberries.
2pm: lara bar (dates,nuts)
5pm: big greens salad w/balsamic vin and maybe cranberries and a nut or 2.
Oh i drink water all day and use recoverite after every training ride. I take a vitamin for good luck each day....
Nearing the weekend i include pasta, cous cous, or other complex carb source.
Not sure how to eat any less an be capable of riding..Ideas?

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
The following is entirely based only on my experience. Others will most likely provide more scholarly advice.

I'd die on that diet. But I ride 250-300 miles/week, 12-16 hours/week, and am about 140 lbs with 5-6% body fat. Here's my typical day:

morning/pre-ride: 2 servings of old fashion oatmeal, double cappuccino, and maybe a banana.

ride: no calories for rides less than 2 hours; over 2 hours, I'll intake about 200 cals/hour

lunch/post-ride: tin of sardines on pita bread and 20 oz glass of low fat chocolate milk.

Dinner: 1/2 cup dry medium grain rice, skinless chicken leg, 1 lb of vegetables of choice.

Evening: Lots of fruit

When I started riding nearly 3 years ago, I was overweight. I started not necessarily with the intent of losing a lot of weight, but just to get in better shape. I don't count calories, but I also refrain from eating "crap." I've lost 40 lbs eating as I describe above and cycling. It works great for me, I like what I eat, and don't feel like I'm sacrificing anything.

·
Registered
21,831 Posts
Daily deficit

z rocks said:
So im beginning to cat the weight but im feeling tired during some of the mid week work outs. I've been taking in about an average of 1200-1500 cal. per day during the week.
The largest daily deficit most people should consider is 1000 calories, and you will be fairly tired and very hungry. This assumes that you are not seriously obese. Even a 500 calorie daily can make a lot of people feel a bit week. Since you don't give your weight, it's impossible to estimate your daily needs so it's hard to tell if 1500/day is appropriate. To estimate your daily needs, you can multiply your weight by 13 and then add your daily exercise load. If you are only taking in 1200 per day, you probably will need a multivitamin because it's hard to get adequate nutrition at that level.

·
Anti-Hero
10,405 Posts
I don't think that eating less would be a good idea. How much do you ride per week?
If you really are only eating <1500kcal a day, then there's a chance that your metabolism could be slowing down a bit. If there's a university in your area with a health and sport science department, they often do metabolic testing for a small fee. I'd recommend setting up an appointment to get your basal metabolic rate checked. That will give you a baseline of how many calories you burn in a day outside of everyday activity (which is additive).

From there, they may be able to help you figure out how many calories a day you should be consuming (at least we do at the U of M lab, but not everyone will give you that much help).

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dunno dr john your food list looks pretty short too. I'll try the sardines though for a change, lots of sodium for electrolytes.

Why would you die? your food list is pretty short. Is it the lack of milk and caffeine? Or all the nuts?

I too get 10-16 hrs. riding depending on what part of the cycle i'm on. But i weigh near 190 @ 6' tall. I like what i eat too... in fact knowing that i'm actually nourishing myself is alot more satisfying than that garbage food that i see most everyone else slurping up. All that oil and sugar coating their insides.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Even 1500 a day sounds low. You didn't say how old you were, but I'd suspect that your BMR is probably around 1800 - 2000 kcals a day. That's before exercise and any additional caloric expenditures like your job or chasing your kids. Diet isn't an absolute science, so play around a bit with your own diet. Try adding back in some calories. Aim for 1800 - 2000 kcals daily and see how that works for you.

Another thing to look at are other life factors. New baby, job loss, promotion, buying a house, illness in the family, etc.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I work outdoors 40hrs. per week too. I calc. at least a 1000-1500 cal deficit easy. I guess i'll need to possibly include a little more calories during the week. But if i do what form should these calories take? Carbs? Protein? I think i'm gettin enough fats from the nuts and occasional olive oil.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
About 12 lbs in 3 weeks. Like i wrote, i increase calories towards the weekend, so there is less of a deficit during my hard/fast club rides and mountain biking (training for 24 hr solo).

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
I dunno dr john your food list looks pretty short too. I'll try the sardines though for a change, lots of sodium for electrolytes.

Why would you die? your food list is pretty short. Is it the lack of milk and caffeine? Or all the nuts?
My initial, completely lay-person response is that based on my current level of exercise, I'd have problems with that few of calories. It seems to be supported by the more knowledgeable people that have responded. It seems more like a healthy diet for someone who isn't doing any serious exercise. I accidentally did leave a few things out of my 'typical day'- e.g., 20 Oz glass of milk with dinner, and my evening 'fruits' is frequently 4 to 5 servings. While I haven't counted, I'd be really surprised if I wasn't eating 2000+ calories. My weight's very stable at 140 lbs and I'm really feeling great.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Optimal training aside i've been riding better than ever on the club rides. I can feel the loss of those #'s while riding. My avg speed has gone up 1-1.5mph (usually60-80mi. rides) within the last month. I attribute that to a combination of leaning down and training. Once closer to target #s i will reduce the deficit. Or if I feel exceptionally weak I'll eat more.

It appears that the answer is that i cannot eat less and perform well on the bike. Quite a balancing act.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.