Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
We've got youngish guys (20's) up to 60ish. A LARGE contingent of 30-50 riders.

·
More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
Dart said:
What is the age range of folks involved in your local cyclocross scene?
What's the average age they got started?
We've got riders from 11 to old. The junior ranks aren't huge but there are some. We just went through a fast batch of junior men and we'll have to see if the next bunch can match them.

The 50+ race is robust as well. Most of the races here offer graded masters too and they are packed fields.

We get first year racers from 10 or 11 to 60 or 70. Anytime is a good time to start racing cross.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
I suppose not. I just finished my first real season (I dabbled a bit before last season) at 48. I'm no where near fast, tho.....

·
duh...
9,749 Posts
Karyn said:
Most areas have a "masters" category for folks over 35 (I think that's the age anyway), so you don't have to race with the super fast 16 year olds.

but masters are often still-fast-as-crap racers... for the true beginner the c/beginner class is prob more appropriate, regardless of age

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
FatTireFred said:
but masters are often still-fast-as-crap racers... for the true beginner the c/beginner class is prob more appropriate, regardless of age
Fo reel. Esp Elite masters. Usually the 2nd fastest group behind the pros. "B" masters usually aren't too shabby, either. If it's your 1st shot at it, definately go with the C class or beginner races. Afetr you get a feel for it then you can try the "B" masters or whatever it's called in your area (cat 3/4 likely).

·
Registered
153 Posts
I think the fields get smaller after the 55 age groups. I know for me it gets harder and harder after 50. I just get so beat up, more so on the run training. I admire the fast guys over 55, because I sure am not one. I am hoping the junior fields continue to grow, I haven't gotten much hope for the kids coming up. Almost all the 35-50 year olds I know that race are in better shape than their 10-25 year old kids.
Bike racing is a hard sport and cross is just brutal if you are trying to be elite. Not too sure their is the work ethic out there as much as their used to be.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
we've got a big spread in the ages here in CO. Lots of juniors racing which is great. And some decent showing in the master's field. For older newbies we've got a 35+ cat 4 group. (FYI, no cat 5 groups here) Lots of folks getting into cycling later in life.

In general it's a good dicipline of cycling to get into. Everyone goes like crazy from the gun but then must settle into their own pace. You'll pass some, some will pass you etc. Unlike a crit are you totally dissapointed by being OTB at the sprint. Seldom in CX is there a sprint finish and then it's between 3 racers or more likely, 2.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Everyone suffers for an hour

Regardless of how fast you are. Sure, you may be lapped, but you'll get extra looks at how the fast people do it. Eventually you'll start tagging along as long as you can with the folks that lap you, then you'll see how long you can go without getting lapped, then you'll be doing the lapping. Have fun and take a clinic if there are any near you. It will make race day way less stressful.

·
Registered
150 Posts
cross is the boss!

Dart said:
So a 38 year-old interested in getting into it isn't too odd?
definitely not! :)

I started at 35, am now 42, and I've improved ever year- especially the last year or 2 as I decided to be a more focused on CX as my main sport.

as a 38 yer old you can chose between the open category racing and the masters racing, so lots of options depending on your speed and goals.

-marc

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.