Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went to the cyclocross race today in Mason and thought it was pretty cool. Unfortunately, I don't have the budget to buy ANOTHER bike, but my neighbor was getting rid of an ancient beast, so of course I grabbed it. Anybody think I make a couple cheaper changes/upgrades to the bike to make it at-least work better than my hard tail for a race? Upgrades: tires/wheels, bar end tape...

Hhmmm....thought I could insert the picture, but not sure how, anybody know if it's possible? Anyways, it's got the screwed in tire skewers, an eight speeds with the shifter on the headset.

·
Fat aging guy on a bike..
347 Posts
Shifters on the headset and bolt on wheels? Likely an 80's entry level (read department store) road bike.

I don't mean to be a downer, but:

* It won't have cantilever posts for proper cantilever brakes
* The brakes that are on it will be inadequate
* The brakes on it won't have enough clearance for knobby tires
* It probably weighs as much or more than your hardtail
* Making it usable will likely involve enough parts and other changes to make buying a good used cyclocross bike a better option

There is nothing wrong with racing a hardtail in most races (most local races). Just take off your bar-ends if you have them and start practicing your mounts/dismounts.

Focus on technique more than equipment and you'll have more fun and do better

·
Iohannes fac totum
3,151 Posts
cyklopath said:
Shifters on the headset and bolt on wheels? Likely an 80's entry level (read department store) road bike.

I don't mean to be a downer, but:

* It won't have cantilever posts for proper cantilever brakes
* The brakes that are on it will be inadequate
* The brakes on it won't have enough clearance for knobby tires
* It probably weighs as much or more than your hardtail
* Making it usable will likely involve enough parts and other changes to make buying a good used cyclocross bike a better option

There is nothing wrong with racing a hardtail in most races (most local races). Just take off your bar-ends if you have them and start practicing your mounts/dismounts.

Focus on technique more than equipment and you'll have more fun and do better
Without knowing which bike he exactly has it's hard to justify your downer statements. My mid 80's Schwinn (the 27" variety) fits a panaracer Crossblaster quite nicely. Those old steel bike had a good deal of room for 700c knobbies. Also, there are a few caliper brakes that work fine with the knobbies. My tektros (forget the model number off hand) are one example. I think a good number of 80's steel frames are great candidates for cheap CX bikes.

·
347 Posts
I'd love to be proven wrong, but after racing a conversion of my own for a while (an early 90's Bianch with Tektro brakes), and 8yrs worth of answering that question as a shop mechanic, I stand behind my post....

Like I said, I'd love to be proven wrong and I hope the guy has fun, but I think he'd have more fun riding his hardtail.

·
Iohannes fac totum
3,151 Posts
cyklopath said:
I'd love to be proven wrong, but after racing a conversion of my own for a while (an early 90's Bianch with Tektro brakes), and 8yrs worth of answering that question as a shop mechanic, I stand behind my post....

Like I said, I'd love to be proven wrong and I hope the guy has fun, but I think he'd have more fun riding his hardtail.

See, now you're confusing me. First you list a bunch of reasons why he CAN'T and SHOULDN'T, but you've already done it. So, the answer to the OP is simply YES. You can mostly like make that beast CX worthy.

I do however find it funny that you think caliper brakes are inadequate, but cantis are not. :)

I personally vote for making that thing an SS and hitting up some nice muddy races and watching derailleurs explode left and right. Super cheap, super reliable, and super fun.:thumbsup:

·
Bikespace member
4,445 Posts
jehoffer said:
Hhmmm....thought I could insert the picture, but not sure how, anybody know if it's possible? Anyways, it's got the screwed in tire skewers, an eight speeds with the shifter on the headset.
you can. under your text box, there's another box "Attach Files", upload them using that. they can't be over a certain size, so you may have to resize the image to make it work, but maybe not. or tell us the brand/model of bike.

·
347 Posts
See, now you're confusing me. First you list a bunch of reasons why he CAN'T and SHOULDN'T, but you've already done it. So, the answer to the OP is simply YES. You can mostly like make that beast CX worthy.
To be clearer, I'm saying I tried it. I'll also say it sucked. It did not have enough mud clearance and the only tire that would fit under those Tektros was too skinny to be good on anything but the paved sections.

I do however find it funny that you think caliper brakes are inadequate, but cantis are not.
I have absolutely no problem with the power of my cantis. Most people who 'grew up' with them know how to set them, and never have problems with them. A large portion of the people who complain are people who came into the sport after cantis were gone from the MTB scene and therefore did not learn to set them correctly.

I've stated my opinion. I think the OP should stick with the perfectly good bike he has until he can afford a bike that is built to do the job instead of attempting to make a silk purse out of a sows ear. YMMV.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the food for thought. I've attached some pictures, with a little help. The bike's a Kent Supreme. And it's actually a 10 speed and I don't know for sure of the age.

·
Registered
391 Posts
to be blunt, it is not worth puttig any $ into that bike to use it for cyclocross. try racing on your hardtail and if you want to pursue look for used. sorry but the Kent has no basis for upgrading for cross. urban commuter maybe.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Didn't take long for the first of many "can I turn this 19xx 10 speed into a cross bike" thread.
Is this the first...or did I miss the early action.
And by miss....I mean I didn't miss much at all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
d2p said:
to be blunt, it is not worth puttig any $ into that bike to use it for cyclocross. try racing on your hardtail and if you want to pursue look for used. sorry but the Kent has no basis for upgrading for cross. urban commuter maybe.
This is what I'm fearful of. I'll do a little more researching, but I'm thinking it may not work. Thanks all for your help.

·
Registered
76 Posts
jehoffer said:
Unfortunately, I don't have the budget to buy ANOTHER bike...
Race your hardtail. And if you're really into it, a suspension corrected rigid fork and faster rolling tires can be had for what it would cost to fix up that dinosaur.

·
Registered
76 Posts
cyklopath said:
No need to change the fork or tires. Run it (the hardtail) as it is.
That's why I prefaced it with "...if you're really into it".

A Surly 1X1 fork is about $50, and tires will run you about the same for a set. As we all know, tire prices vary.

$100 give or take can get you a rigid set-up that would be great for 'cross. Better than that dinosaur by far, IMO. However, there are a lot of folks racing with suspension forks, too.

·
oh lonesome road for you
1,699 Posts
I like the spirit of racing junkers in cross, but I'll be another voice saying your hardtail is just going to be better.

That is of course not knowing anything about the hardtail. If it's a walmart special or something, then I don't know.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
jroden said:
that kent wasn't a good bike in 1980 and it will be dreadful for cyclocross. Put it back in the garbage.
Dreadful?
Isn't that the bike that won the 1979 Tour Day France?
Or was that a Huffy?
If time heals all wounds....and wounds all heals...that bike should, with 30 years of vintage aging, be wonderful by now. Like a fine wine.

I say put Shimano Di2 on it and race it!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts