Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to build up a CX bike from a roadie?

I'm looking into the possibility of doing this with my current roadie, a Klein Q Carbon Team. If it is at all possible I'd like to keep it and do it up as a CX.

Any suggestions or tips for young players would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

BA

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Typically road frames don't have enough clearance between the forks and rear stays for wide tires. That and the fact that once you do manage to stuff bigger tires in there's no mud clearance.

I'm sure someone else will chime in with other good reasons.

·
Anti-Hero
10,343 Posts
The BB to ground height is usually lower on a road bike as well, which isn't really that big of a problem on most CX courses, but if you like to take your CX bike off road on trails or anything, you'll be more likely to hit a pedal or chainring on roots, etc.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
It depends on what you mean by CX. If you mean racing, no you can't. If you mean something you can take on dirt roads and fire trails, you just need some stout wheels and tires, like Vittoria Open Pave or what.

·
Registered
102 Posts
i originally tried to do this with my klein quantum....the tire clearance was the issue for me. the area i ride is generally flat so the gearing and geo would have been ok, but the max clearance maxed at 28c which wasn't enough for a true cross tire...
good luck

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
kmac76 said:
i originally tried to do this with my klein quantum....the tire clearance was the issue for me. the area i ride is generally flat so the gearing and geo would have been ok, but the max clearance maxed at 28c which wasn't enough for a true cross tire...
good luck
You could always go with a 650B conversion. You can fit some pretty fat tires that way. With the long reach brakes you should be have some mud clearance too. Only thing would worry about is that the ground clearance will be about an 1" or so less. Great if you have short legs but bad if you after ground clearance.

Maybe you can strip off the group and buy a cross frame. You'll need a new BB and cantilevers though.

·
Registered
102 Posts
650b conversion is a creative idea and would be an interesting project...however, i took the easy way out and went with a custom seven ti mudhoney - there are no issues now, and the klein is about a week away from becoming my 1st ss speed. thx

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
kmac76 said:
650b conversion is a creative idea and would be an interesting project...however, i took the easy way out and went with a custom seven ti mudhoney - there are no issues now, and the klein is about a week away from becoming my 1st ss speed. thx
Never thought about a SS. Bet it turns out great. Good luck on the Cross bike. Make sure to post pics.

·
Registered
75 Posts
It can be done, but not reccomended for a nice frame.
I raced an old Trek steel frame last season with Kenda Kwicks on it.
Next season I will be going with used orbea frame bought off Ebay.
You can pick up a cheap setup from ebay if you are willing to be a patient or are willing to race a noname bike from performance or such.
Cross seems to be a good place to use you old componensts.
good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts