Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I am wondering if a CX bike is right for me. Can I use a CX as a daily commuter but also use it as a touring bike for the occasional trip into the country. I dont think CX bikes have the required holes for a rear bike rack. Also I was wondering if a CX bike can take a beating on rough roads, mild XC trails.

If anyone can help that would be appreciated.
Reagards
KK mtl

If there are any montreal or other harsh weather (I cant think of anywhere harsher than montreal, maybe Syberia) riders out there, how do your components hold up to the winter. (BB - Brake pads, etc)

Thanks

·
Registered
341 Posts
The Surly Cross-Check is exactly what you need.

It's inexpensive- ~400 frame and fork.
It has eyelets for fenders and racks.
It has big clearance for big tires w/ studs, if you like, for winter.
It's steel and it's plenty tough for rough roads and trails.
I have a used one I just and I am running it 1x9 until I can make it a fixed/SS, which brings me to another benefit...
it has long dropouts which make it ideal to turn it into a fixed ggear or singlespeed. This may help you with your winter commuting as it simplifies the drivetrain- there's just less to be damaged by the salt/sand/slush/ice/whatever.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
You are kidding, right?

Most people could probably do perfectly well with only a CX bike, and a spare wheelset to allow for quick changes of tires/gearing. Most CX frames I've seen do have at least one pair of eyelets at the dropouts; the Soma Double Cross (close to the same price of the Surly but a bit lighter, a bit classier) not only has rack/fender mounts on the frame, but also on the fork, including mounts for lowrider panniers. My ('00 and '01) Axises have rack mounts on the frame, plus fender mounts on frame and fork; I've done light loaded tours (rack/pannier) with them, and a couple of longer trips with a B.o.B. trailer. As for the off-road worthiness, one can do singletrack and fire roads without a problem, although you have to pick your line more carefully than you do when you've got 4" of suspension sucking up your mistakes...

If I were forced to choose only one bike to keep out of my stable, it would be the '99 VooDoo Wazoo, because it does so much so well.

·
Registered
64 Posts
That was exactly what I thought, and I got this Kelly Knobby X.

Btw, it is pretty important (for me), to find one which has the rack mounts before I buy because I did not want to go through the hassle of getting the brazings done if I were to get a frame without. I also do not want to use p-clips.

Another consideration which weighed heavily in my must-have list were disc brake mounts, and front lowrider mounts.

The Kelly which I bought has everything. :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
fisherman said:
That was exactly what I thought, and I got this Kelly Knobby X.

Btw, it is pretty important (for me), to find one which has the rack mounts before I buy because I did not want to go through the hassle of getting the brazings done if I were to get a frame without. I also do not want to use p-clips.

Another consideration which weighed heavily in my must-have list were disc brake mounts, and front lowrider mounts.

The Kelly which I bought has everything. :)

That's a schweet looking Kelly.

·
Registered
353 Posts
KK mtl said:
Hey,

I am wondering if a CX bike is right for me. Can I use a CX as a daily commuter but also use it as a touring bike for the occasional trip into the country. I dont think CX bikes have the required holes for a rear bike rack. Also I was wondering if a CX bike can take a beating on rough roads, mild XC trails.

Reagards
KK mtl

If there are any montreal or other harsh weather (I cant think of anywhere harsher than montreal, maybe Syberia) riders out there, how do your components hold up to the winter. (BB - Brake pads, etc)

Thanks
Hello! A fellow Montrealer here! My bike has held up very nicely on the horrid conditions of winter cycling including the salt, snow, slush, potholes, & the occasional crash... The bike is however coated with a very thick layer of crap though.

My rig is my cyclocrosser race, duathlon racer, & commuter. I have a 2nd wheelset as well as I am rather lazy about swapping tires depending upon my riding mood.Funny thing though, I think I do have the holes in back for a bike rack but have never really taken a close look. If you happen to be near Victoria & Sherbrooke, go to Martin Swiss (Kona JtS, Trek XO1, Ridley). If you are in Nun's Island, there's Neron & they do have a 52cm Tricross Sport on the floor. In Laval, Haute Performance carries Kona & Bianchi.
Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks

Thank you everyone for the replies, thanks for the help.

arctic hawk: What are you using as wheelsets?

arctic hawk said:
Hello! A fellow Montrealer here! My bike has held up very nicely on the horrid conditions of winter cycling including the salt, snow, slush, potholes, & the occasional crash... The bike is however coated with a very thick layer of crap though.

My rig is my cyclocrosser race, duathlon racer, & commuter. I have a 2nd wheelset as well as I am rather lazy about swapping tires depending upon my riding mood.Funny thing though, I think I do have the holes in back for a bike rack but have never really taken a close look. If you happen to be near Victoria & Sherbrooke, go to Martin Swiss (Kona JtS, Trek XO1, Ridley). If you are in Nun's Island, there's Neron & they do have a 52cm Tricross Sport on the floor. In Laval, Haute Performance carries Kona & Bianchi.
Hope this helps!

·
Registered
353 Posts
KK mtl said:
Thank you everyone for the replies, thanks for the help.

arctic hawk: What are you using as wheelsets?
Cyclocross/winter/go through hell wheelset
front: MA3/deore XT hub
back: regular Trek Aurora, which is dying, & will become a Mavic Open Pro/105 hub in spring

Duathlon: Shimano WH6500 wheelset with a dinged front rim :(

·
Registered
51 Posts
A LBS has three identical Specialized TriCross bikes setup to demonstrate this. The TriCross has rack and lowrider mounts. One bike has slicks and fenders, one has a full compliment of racks and bags and the third has knobby tires and traditional 'cross gearing. It's pretty cool to see the same bike set up this way.

-James

KK mtl said:
Hey,

Reagards
KK mtl

Thanks

·
Bike Dude
986 Posts
Check out the "web"

There are a lot of web sites that list racks that use a rubber coated "u" clamp to wrap around the seat/chain stays. I beleive Rivendell carries this type. I second the SOMA, lighter and better built than the Surly. Handles pretty well. There are also rear racks that mount onto the seatpost only with side supports for your bags. Many options. I love that Kelly. Grab it if the price is right.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Possible solution:

My winter/commuting bike is a 2006 Planet-X Kaffenback. I purchased the frameset for $279.00 on ebay. Designed as a cyclocross, commuter, touring rig. Has rack and fender mounts.

I run a Deore crankset, XT front/rear derailleurs and Ultegra bar end shifters (this is an 8-speed setup). I also run XT V-Brakes which provide amazing stopping power.

Rear spacing is 130mm, so I use Ultegra/Open Pro wheels with a 12-23 cassette. Thomson Elite seat post and stem and Brooks B-17 Champion Special saddle complete the package.

·
vegan cyclocross disco
428 Posts
that's a good looking bike and probably bomb proof! I dig the 8 speed xt stuff, it's probably tough as nails. nice color on the frame also. but is it a tank?

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
iamandy said:
that's a good looking bike and probably bomb proof! I dig the 8 speed xt stuff, it's probably tough as nails. nice color on the frame also. but is it a tank?

Surly-esque... Planet X site claims "around 4lbs" for the frame

·
Registered
2 Posts
KK mtl said:
Hey,

Reagards
KK mtl

Thanks
Check out the Kona dealer... gotta suggest checking out the Jake the Snake. It's s cross race bike, but can definitely handle loaded touring... mine took me from Vancouver to St. John's last summer.

It has the holes for a rear rack and the dropout holes for the front rack as well. I took my jts down "mild xc trails" (some not so mild...) fully loaded with front and rear paniers (60 lbs gear and 150lbs of rider) and it always brought me out in one piece. The bike is now a commuter, and with the addition of some new quicker wheels will also become a regular weekend road and rec club road racer in addition to touring duties.

You cant go wrong with cross geometry if you want one multi task bike!!!

I'm not too sure about the extreme cold hold up, but I know my kona spent a LOT of time outside getting rained on then drying around campfires and it always seemed to shake itself off...

·
MING
419 Posts
another

One for the cross bikes rock. They do everything. My cross bike, Bruce, is my first road bike. I did 1000 miles of touring on mine in July around Spain and France, then I dumped everything off it and did Pla D'Adet, the 10% grade over 10 k mountain finish for stage 15 in St Lary Soulan, Frenchieland. I commute regularly through rain (seattle) with it, ride some fire trails and throw some skinnies on it to ride the roads. It may not do everything well, but it does it all well enough for me.

Look at the split personalities that is a cross bike! saldy i dont have an pictures of him all messed up and dirty, guess ill need to go on a mud ride.

·
Registered
353 Posts
brendan rocks said:
hey montreal crew!

your jake can take the commute, but get a beater to avoid theft.

see you on the mountain
Look for a blue Trek with a chinese guy on it .... going really slow.....
Have fun on the mountain!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Its been said many times before, but CX bike would be perfect.

My cross bike double as a full time cross racer, winter trainer, commuter, occational full loaded tourer, full time road race bike, and fireroad basher.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts