Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is it possible to be competitive in CX on a fixed gear bike? This would be in the novice, beginner, whatever the class is called for newbie geeks, which is what I am.

If FG isn't a reasonable option and I throw a SS freewheel on the back, is a rear brake required?

Thanks...RC

·
vegan wrench
160 Posts
RCM said:
Is it possible to be competitive in CX on a fixed gear bike? This would be in the novice, beginner, whatever the class is called for newbie geeks, which is what I am.

If FG isn't a reasonable option and I throw a SS freewheel on the back, is a rear brake required?

Thanks...RC
yes. it is not only possible to be competitive but win in a geared category. having said that though, if your first experience of cross racing is on a fixie, you might not have the best of time. maybe try using a freewheel until you get the hang of it. and if you do go freewheel, definitely use a rear brake.

·
Registered
809 Posts
bloodthirstylust said:
yes. it is not only possible to be competitive but win in a geared category.
not where I live. However, it doesn't mean that you wouldn't have a ton of fun. If you found that it was important to be competitive (by whatever relative meaning you give that word) you could always slap on a free wheel and give it a go. Single speeds are indeed competitive.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Yes - If you have the legs and bike handling skills

In Northern California at the Bay Area Super Prestige Series, a guy won several of the races on a fixed gear in the mens C and was on the podium for the overall. I think he would have won the overall but he missed one of the races. He was plenty fast on a fixed gear.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
RCM said:

Thanks...RC
yes - the ss category was won in my 4-race serires by a fixie rider with no brakes.

he also won the A category on a geared bike (with brakes).

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
haiku d'etat said:
yes - the ss category was won in my 4-race serires by a fixie rider with no brakes.

he also won the A category on a geared bike (with brakes).
btw--platform pedals and tennis shoes on the fixie.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
bagghhh wins in the C's

my guess there is sandbagger. guy probably much faster but racing C's on a fixie.
now down here in SoCal we got a guy who races A on a fixie (and remember our A's has an ex 40's Nat Champ, A Nat team member and a couple Nat Age group contenders and he finished 4th overall, won 2 races and had 2 2nds. He was killing guys in the SS class.
then again he's an ex world champ 24hr SS MTBer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies.

I'm a SoCal resident (Encinitas) who's stuck in Eastern NC (Cherry Point) for the next three years, and a former roadie who now rides a drop bar offroad fixed full time, although I do spend some time on the road on the bike between trails.

Since there's no hills around here, I'm spending a lot of time riding on the grass next to the road to get some resistance, so I thought of doing a few CX races to give me some motivation riding on boring flat grass.

I prefer to do everything fixed if possible, and from what some of you are saying I might be able to keep up with some of the guys in a beginner category.

My normal setup is Tufo T34 tubies on Reflex rims, so I can race on my regular wheels.

Thanks again...RC

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
our guy was letting the backside of his pedal rev launch him off the bike. his dismounts and remounts were like ballet.

·
Registered
570 Posts
RCM said:
Thanks for the replies.

I'm a SoCal resident (Encinitas) who's stuck in Eastern NC (Cherry Point) for the next three years, and a former roadie who now rides a drop bar offroad fixed full time, although I do spend some time on the road on the bike between trails.

Since there's no hills around here, I'm spending a lot of time riding on the grass next to the road to get some resistance, so I thought of doing a few CX races to give me some motivation riding on boring flat grass.

I prefer to do everything fixed if possible, and from what some of you are saying I might be able to keep up with some of the guys in a beginner category.

My normal setup is Tufo T34 tubies on Reflex rims, so I can race on my regular wheels.

Thanks again...RC
In Norcal C's, a fixie won one of the final racers last year, by a decent margin. I think he was an SF messenger.

Cherry Pt? Hey, I've been there, used to do some work at NADEP, near Southport. Yeah, it's flat...

·
Registered
475 Posts
practice dismounts b4 racing

haiku d'etat said:
btw--platform pedals and tennis shoes on the fixie.
I raced fixed last year and I just went to a park on 3or 4 days and practiced dismounting fixed first w/o barriers then when I was approaching a set of pvc barriers. I felt like I could get into a race once I was able to dismount at about 14mph.
I would suggest clipping in and using egg beaters or whatever pedal you are supremely compfortable with, I would suggest against shimano just cause of the possible difficulty of clipping in or out in muddy or sandy conditions. Platforms and tennies might sound like a good idea but it gives you less control at higher speeds and rpms when you might want to control your speed with a combination of pedal pressure and front brake.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts