Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be getting a new cross bike soon and I would like some advice on pedals . I am pretty much looking towards SPD as I have those on my MTB, any recommendations on specific models or should I go to a different brand

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
:thumbsup: Eggbeaters :thumbsup:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Shimano makes a good clipless pedal, that won't break the bank. I've been using them on my MTB for 3 years now with no issues.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
If you race in muddy conditions, the spds may become an issue. They don't clear mud as well as other systems. The Crank Bros. stuff is tops for mud clearance. So Eggbeaters or Candys would be my suggestion. The Time ATAC and Look Quartz are also very popular choices, with better mud clearance than the spd stuff. But they all work. So if you are comfortable with your spds, stick with those, but I would recommend their higher end pedals for weight savings and a bit better mud shedding.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
krisdrum said:
If you race in muddy conditions, the spds may become an issue. They don't clear mud as well as other systems. The Crank Bros. stuff is tops for mud clearance. So Eggbeaters or Candys would be my suggestion. The Time ATAC and Look Quartz are also very popular choices, with better mud clearance than the spd stuff. But they all work. So if you are comfortable with your spds, stick with those, but I would recommend their higher end pedals for weight savings and a bit better mud shedding.
Thanks for the recommendations , I think I am going to stick with the SPDs, in a race mud shedding capabilities will be the least of my problems.

I had heard that XTR was the Shimano to go for.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
BadBoyNY said:
Only if you are dying to spend money (nothing wrong with that). Like virtually all other parts, XT is the better bang for your buck--functionally equivalent, a few grams heavier, and much cheaper.

·
Premium Member
5,457 Posts
BadBoyNY said:
Thanks for the recommendations , I think I am going to stick with the SPDs, in a race mud shedding capabilities will be the least of my problems.

I have Crank Bros Candy on my MTB...

since you already have Shimano SPD on your MTB... might as well get another SPD, so you don't have to buy another pair of shoes, and put that money to upgraded Shimano pedals.

Nashbar seems to have a good price on the XTR

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_197389_-1_201561_10000_200410

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
BadBoyNY said:

any shimano SPD will work fine. You don't have to spend the $$$ on XTR.

however I do agree after racing a season with my shimanos in some muddy conditions I'm wondering if I should switch to Eggbeaters.

do the eggbeaters use a special cleat or same as shimano?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I too ride MTB and cyclocross and wanted to keep using Shimano SPD. I have the M540 on both my bikes, and think they are a lot better than the M505/M520 my bikes came with. Look around, you should be able to find them for around $70. I find the M540 to be a great value--smooth bearings, easy click on/off, and close to the same weight as the XTR.

·
Premium Member
5,457 Posts
c-lo said:
do the eggbeaters use a special cleat or same as shimano?

Different cleat from shimano.

The cleat is designed to have either a 15° or 20° release angle (you choose)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
tednugent said:
I have Crank Bros Candy on my MTB...

since you already have Shimano SPD on your MTB... might as well get another SPD, so you don't have to buy another pair of shoes, and put that money to upgraded Shimano pedals.

Nashbar seems to have a good price on the XTR

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_197389_-1_201561_10000_200410
The shoe thing was part of the reasoning, I figured that i could use the shoes on both bikes. I might get some more specific shoes for the cross bike later.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
juanj said:
I too ride MTB and cyclocross and wanted to keep using Shimano SPD. I have the M540 on both my bikes, and think they are a lot better than the M505/M520 my bikes came with. Look around, you should be able to find them for around $70. I find the M540 to be a great value--smooth bearings, easy click on/off, and close to the same weight as the XTR.
You're right, I have 540's on my Rize and i'm not such a weight weenie that 50 grams here or there is going to make any difference to my overall performance.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
I'm pretty happy with my Time ATACs. It seems to take a mixture of mud, grass and horse poop to get them to start being difficult.

However, the bad old days of SPDs clogging at the slightest provocation seem to be over. There used to be a couple extra parts on the pedal that made it harder for them to clear, and those are gone. Other people at races seem to be doing fine on them. For me, keeping the same pedal system on my mountain and 'cross bikes is a definite advantage.

There are claims that the XTR clears mud noticeably better than the XT, because of the coating, but I can't speak from experience.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
c-lo said:
dang...see now I'd have to purchase shoes too.

something to think about.
Only if you don't feel like popping your SPD cleats off to try something different. Just mark your soles for current cleat position. Then if you don't dig them, you can go right back to your current set-up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts