Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm predominantly a road only rider but every now and again a ride comes up that I'd need a CX-ish bike for. A good example is a ride out in western MA of all carriage (smoother unpaved) roads.

Would it be a bad idea to try and turn a Madone into a CX (sorta) bike to do these events? I was thinking I could get away with maybe new wheels/tires and a different cassette (it's a compact 11-28 at present).

Other suggestions? I just don't want to buy a cross bike when I've got two road bikes already. No room!

·
Registered
7 Posts
You won't have the tire clearance on the Madone. Plus it would be a damn shame to make that bike any thing other than what it is. Put the money you would put towards wheels/tires towards a real cyclocross bike..ie Trek xo, Giant TCX....I have a 2011 TCX 1 that is awesome!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
c-lo said:
shame on you for even considering making a Madone a CX bike! I demand you ship it to me so I can take better care of it.

:D

I'm injured at present, so this isn't the first stupid thing I've contemplated trying to fill the time.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not entirely sure, but I upped my mileage a little too quick and went really hard my last two rides and now my knees and hips feel pretty bad. I'm guessing itb syndrome.

I'll consider your offer :)

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Does Trek make good bikes?

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
If it is smooth, but unpaved a CX bike is not necessary. I'd put the widest road tires you can fit (Probably 25s on the Madone) and go have some fun. Unless there is mud, you should be fine.

I'm sorry, but it cracks me up when people think they need a CX bike for even the slightest "off road" rides. For stuff like Strada Bianca in the Giro (sounds like similar conditions for the OP) you rarely if ever see CX bikes. Heck, for most of the cobbled classics you seldom see it and when you do it is purely for more tire clearance, not adding tread.

·
Do not touch the trim.
2,381 Posts
krisdrum said:
If it is smooth, but unpaved a CX bike is not necessary. I'd put the widest road tires you can fit (Probably 25s on the Madone) and go have some fun. Unless there is mud, you should be fine.

I'm sorry, but it cracks me up when people think they need a CX bike for even the slightest "off road" rides. For stuff like Strada Bianca in the Giro (sounds like similar conditions for the OP) you rarely if ever see CX bikes. Heck, for most of the cobbled classics you seldom see it and when you do it is purely for more tire clearance, not adding tread.

Agree with krisdrum, ride your road bike, 25's at 80 psi will work fine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a lot of crushed limestone paths, they are not always real firm and my buddy hates riding his road bike on them. I want to get a new ride to keep up with the roadie and I think cyclocross would be good for road and the crush limestone path. What do you all think? Cyclocross or road bike? Next question steel frame or alum??

1 - 12 of 12 Posts