Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
5 of the 15 miles of my commute is on the C&O canal in Potomac, MD. The surface is mostly packed dirt/light gravel/crushed limestone. Rattles my full suspension MTB with the shocks locked out pretty well. Will a cx bike be uncomfortable on this surface and should I instead consider a lighter hardtail MTB or hybrid with skinnier tires? On the other hand, these bikes won't be as fun on the road climbs included in the commute. Posted in the Mid-Atlantic forum also but not getting any hits. Thanks for any input.

· Registered
127 Posts
bonebustr said:
5 of the 15 miles of my commute is on the C&O canal in Potomac, MD. The surface is mostly packed dirt/light gravel/crushed limestone. Rattles my full suspension MTB with the shocks locked out pretty well. Will a cx bike be uncomfortable on this surface and should I instead consider a lighter hardtail MTB or hybrid with skinnier tires? On the other hand, these bikes won't be as fun on the road climbs included in the commute. Posted in the Mid-Atlantic forum also but not getting any hits. Thanks for any input.
I commute daily on the C&O on my cx bike. It works fine and I definitely appreciate the narrower tires vs a mountain bike.

· Roadbikereview Editor
182 Posts
A cross bike will work fine

bonebustr said:
We love riding cross bikes on chunky gravel roads in the Midwest/ Great Plains...sometimes for 200 miles--Dirty Kanza.

If you're getting rattled on your locked-out dually,try decreasing your tire pressure before you buy a new bike.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All right some of you wise guys... I locked out the suspension and maxed out the tire pressure to get an idea of what it would be like to ride on a more rigid frame. The question was to see if a cx bike could take the daily beating on the trail if should I invest in a new bike and it sounds like it can. thanks.

· Kram has marked me
209 Posts
Bone - I do 9 miles of the C&O on my "50 mile Friday" commutes (Nolands Ferry to Whites Ferry, Leesburg to W&OD to Sterling) using my Redline Team and WTB All-Terrainasurus tires at 60 psi and it is fine. I have also ridden the entire length of the C&O on a cross bike and never encountered anything uncomfortable. Proceed.

Thor

· Registered
373 Posts
I'm doing the entire C&O in September over 2 days on my Kona Jake. Have done two decent length rides already (G'Town to White's Ferry and back), using 32c street tires, and I've been fine. However, for the whole shebang, I'm planning on swapping to something fatter (and dropping the PSI) like a 700x38.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.