Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, cyclocross is part of the SEC season this year. I'm interested in doing it, but I don't have a bike.

I also don't have a big budget.

Question 1: any ideas on how to do CX on a budget without resorting to SS? I'd figure out how to eat the cost of wheels and tubulars at some point in the fall, but don't consider that part of the startup cost…I'd probably start either with a tubeless conversion or borrowed wheels. Basically just consider frame/group/etc.. I'd also rather not have something I'm going to ruin in 1 season or want to get rid of in a year.

So, what I'm seriously thinking about is selling my road bike (2010 Allez Sport) and getting a Crux Elite (http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=52707&eid=6065&menuItemId=14882) or similar.

Despite the different crank, the gear ratios at the top are almost the same, though they obviously go lower with an 11-32 mountain cassette. I'd already be getting separate wheels for road and cx, so I could get a more useable cassette for the road/slick wheel set. I've done the math, and it's not a big deal…I just can't get a bigger gear than I currently have without changing the chain ring, which also isn't a big deal.

I have access to Ultegra brakes that I could throw on for road season if canti-brakes aren't legal for road (Question 2: does that frame take normal brakes? It looks like it should). Same for a 9-sp Dura Ace RD if the Deore XT ends up not smooth enough for road (it should).

The other option I'm thinking about is building up a Crux frame with Rival (mid-cage), though I think that might end up more expensive once I've bought all the stuff. Mostly, I don't see the point once I'm building everything not to go ahead and get cane creek brakes as opposed to tektro and the bars i want instead of whatever comes on the crux elite.

Would I be insane for doing either of those? I haven't ridden it yet, but it looks like I might like the Crux frame at least as well as the Allez frame…thoughts? Keep in mind that it would end up a training/general bike not during CX season, as I have access to team Blue and Cannondale road bikes if it ends up too heavy to race in the spring.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
I've done road races on my cross bike. AFAIK there's no rule against using cantilever brakes in road races. Normal road calipers won't work with a cross fork.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
What Pretender said, he seems to usually beat me to the punch. I raced this entire spring/summer road season on my cross rig. And it is hardly anything special (Scattante frame, with mostly Rival). The bike wasn't what was holding me back in Cat 5, it was most definitely my fitness. I'm racing the same bike again this fall. Only real "upgrade" is some tubs.

Personally, I'd keep your Allez, buy something like the Scattante frame/fork/headset and a set of inexpensive, but good cantis (tetkro 720), some smaller chainrings and just swap gruppos between rigs depending on the season.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts