Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The current National CX Champion Tim Johnson almost always pushes his bike on run-ups, Mark McCormack almost always carries it. Most racers will use both ways depending on the nature of the run-up section. See a variety of both techniques used by Elite Men and Elite Women on a short but extremely steep hill in 2004 CSI CX race in Northampton, MA:

http://www.cyclocrossvideos.com/cx/2004_cx/2004_cx.html

What is your favorite way?

·
Registered
296 Posts
I tend to push it if the ground is fairly smooth and not too soft. Otherwise I'll carry it. I don't think that I would ever suitcase it on a run-up. I'm not somebody that others should look to for guidance though.

Last year at one race I had a spectator telling me every lap to carry my bike as I was pushing it up the run-up. It seemed to me at the time that it was easier and faster to push it, so I did.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Whatever gets you from point A to B in the fastest time, with the least amount of effort. It is highly individual.

Sticky mud is slower to push a bike through. At the same time, a sticky mud covered bike is heavier to carry. Bumpy terrain can sometimes knock the chain off while pushing. Some runups are too short to merit the energy loss of lifting/lowering the bike to/from shoulder relative to the speed/posture gains of running w/ the bike on shoulder. Some terrain is smooth enough to merit pushing. Sometimes when you're totally on the limit, leaning over the bike while running is easier than lifting. Depends on how hard you take it at different parts of the course prior to the runup/barrier.

It never hurts to mix it up, watch what's working for the guy next to you, and how your technique pans out relative to that. Sometimes the open line changes, etc. You have to be adaptable on the fly.

·
Hup, Hup
392 Posts
Both techniques are very useful depending on the situation at hand, much like what was already said before. If it's a short run up I'll push it, if it's long or super steep then it gets shouldered. Either way, I feel that both techniques need to be practiced ahead of time and ready to be called on at a moment's notice. Course conditions can change quickly so your execution may too.

·
MTBR Member
3,124 Posts
henry_j said:
The current National CX Champion Tim Johnson almost always pushes his bike on run-ups, Mark McCormack almost always carries it. Most racers will use both ways depending on the nature of the run-up section. See a variety of both techniques used by Elite Men and Elite Women on a short but extremely steep hill in 2004 CSI CX race in Northampton, MA:

http://www.cyclocrossvideos.com/cx/2004_cx/2004_cx.html

What is your favorite way?
Great video :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
e-RICHIE said:
i push my bikes AND my cupcakes atmo -

A little off topic, but E-RICHIE, does it feel weird to have your full name plastered all over your riding gear? Do you ever meet someone while riding and say, "Hello, my name is Richard Sachs," then have them look awkwardly at your kit? You pull it off well, but I don;t think most of us could get away with it.

btw- love the bikes and the kit.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
cbuchanan said:
Both techniques are very useful depending on the situation at hand, much like what was already said before. If it's a short run up I'll push it, if it's long or super steep then it gets shouldered. Either way, I feel that both techniques need to be practiced ahead of time and ready to be called on at a moment's notice. Course conditions can change quickly so your execution may too.
Changing weather conditions during 1998 Ft. Devens Supercup turned this mole hill into a formidable slippery obstacle, necessitating extreme measures to be taken! I am sure a lot of riders wished they had sharp cleats/spikes on their shoes.

http://www.cyclocrossvideos.com/cx/1998_cx/1998_Ft_Devens_Supercup_Elite_Women_Run-up.html

The Elite Men didn’t fare much better than Elite Women. The front-runners cleared the hill well, a couple of guys even bunnyhopped the barrier on top, but for the second half of the pack it was mayhem.

http://www.cyclocrossvideos.com/cx/1998_cx/1998_cx.html

Elite Men Run-up video courtesy of Pete M.

·
eat live sleep cross
418 Posts
Henry - that there hill (from watching the women at least) is a rare example when being able to shoulder your bike wacky side (ala BJM) would be good, there's just a bit more traction along that side and if ya were to shoulder the bike on the left side you could scale it a bit easier...

just an observation - an example of it being helpful to be well practiced in ALL skills and variations...

·
Registered
456 Posts
lampshade said:
A little off topic, but E-RICHIE, does it feel weird to have your full name plastered all over your riding gear? Do you ever meet someone while riding and say, "Hello, my name is Richard Sachs," then have them look awkwardly at your kit? You pull it off well, but I don;t think most of us could get away with it.

btw- love the bikes and the kit.
thanks - i'm kinda sorta used to it. but i have to keep
in mind that around here i'm "deb's husband" atmo!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I agree that it's good to mix it up depending on the situation. There is nothing more graceful than someone who can dismount, throw the bike on the shoulder, run, place the bike on the ground and be back on the bike all while be smoothe as butter. Although, sometimes I have a third technique. It's when you are pushing your bike, with your head hanging low and trying not to puke on your own shoes because your about to explode.

Thanks for the great videos and it's really nice to hear Phil and Paul announce a cross race.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
dano49 said:
Thanks for the great videos and it's really nice to hear Phil and Paul announce a cross race.
Here's the other half of the two-part compilation, this one focussed on mounts and remounts. Whoever put these comps together did us all a nice service. BTW if embedding the videos in posts is annoying to anyone, please let me know and I'll just post links in the future.

·
Registered
385 Posts
henry_j said:
Changing weather conditions during 1998 Ft. Devens Supercup turned this mole hill into a formidable slippery obstacle, necessitating extreme measures to be taken! I am sure a lot of riders wished they had sharp cleats/spikes on their shoes.

http://www.cyclocrossvideos.com/cx/1998_cx/1998_Ft_Devens_Supercup_Elite_Women_Run-up.html

The Elite Men didn’t fare much better than Elite Women. The front-runners cleared the hill well, a couple of guys even bunnyhopped the barrier on top, but for the second half of the pack it was mayhem.

http://www.cyclocrossvideos.com/cx/1998_cx/1998_cx.html

Elite Men Run-up video courtesy of Pete M.
I like the elite men footage. A fun flashback. Frank McCormack could sure lay down some power and I like the shots of Jon Page in the yellow headshok jersey and santa hat. Nice!

Bart Bowen has popped up here and there in the Oregon scene, but fortunately, he is truly retired.

But, where are all the flashy deep carbon rims, dugast tubulars, and carbon forks? What??? You mean you can race fast w/o all that expensive crap? :D

·
eat live sleep cross
418 Posts
CDB said:
But, where are all the flashy deep carbon rims, dugast tubulars, and carbon forks? What??? You mean you can race fast w/o all that expensive crap?
just think how much faster they would be WITH all that stuff...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.