Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
steel road, fixie, & MTB
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
'cross tire options: 23mm, 25mm, or 26mm?

are there any "decent" 'cross 700c tire options in: 23mm, 25mm, or 26mm? that can be used to climb dirt hills with? in mud?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
TrailNut said:
are there any "decent" cx 700c tire options in: 23mm, 25mm, or 26mm? that can be used to climb dirt hills with? in mud?
A tire that small would not be useful for offroad use. Vittoria makes a 27mm tire that will just fit on some road bikes (I can only imagine that this is what you're trying to do here...). It is quite small, and must be run at very high pressures to avoid pinch flats. This also goes for any small sized clicher "cx" tire- although they may have knobs they don't function well offroad because they must be run very hard and therefore provide none of the suspension, cornering and traction advantages of a regular cross tire (30mm+). Furthermore, even if the tire will fit in the fork/frame/brake the clearance will be very tight and you'll be amazed at how much mud, small stones, etc. can get pulled in there when riding offroad.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Ditto what Wunlap said. I rode those pinner-sized Vittoria's and they were no fun...anywhere.

The only reason I'd consider CX tires that narrow is if you're trying to cram CX tires on a road.

·
steel road, fixie, & MTB
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
trying to cram 'cross tires on a track

the seamus said:
Ditto what Wunlap said. I rode those pinner-sized Vittoria's and they were no fun...anywhere.

The only reason I'd consider CX tires that narrow is if you're trying to cram CX tires on a road.
exactly

i'd be riding my MTB if i was planning on dirt riding, but sometimes when i'm on my road bike i get the urge to "hit dirt"...and i know i would get that way even with a track bike

·
Registered
39 Posts
I too mix road and offroad in the same ride and have the following recommendations:

Try Vittoria XN pro clincher in 30 mm - they come up much smaller eg 27/28 mm and feature a diamond tread that rolls really fast on road, but has an amazing amount of grip even in mud. Wear is perhaps not too good though.

Alternatively, Tufo D28 tubular clinchers (diamond pattern) roll great and have a nice feel on the road due to tubeless contraction. Just remember to get some Tufo gloop to repair any punctures within seconds.

·
Registered
813 Posts
look at the touring tires at biketiresdirect.com they have some 23-28mm tires with a little grip designed for the road, but might work for what youre doing or planning.

jb

·
Registered
604 Posts
I've wanted to try these for a while: Hutchinson Acrobat. Looks like they would be good on the road, but also good on gravel (as long as it wasn't too steep or loose), and those cornering knobs look like they'd hook up well.

28/30/32 available.

·
steel road, fixie, & MTB
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
28mm Hutchinson Acrobat on a Bianchi Pista?

Lab Worker said:
I've wanted to try these for a while: Hutchinson Acrobat. Looks like they would be good on the road, but also good on gravel (as long as it wasn't too steep or loose), and those cornering knobs look like they'd hook up well.

28/30/32 available.
yes that tire looks like it would work...now only if i knew that 28mm Hutchinson Acrobat would fit a Bianchi Pista, then I can support my LBS and buy it soon...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts