Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to try a few races this upcoming season and have no scratch for a proper bike. I can, however, retrieve my single-speeded Diamondback Ascent EX (full rigid and old-school!) from it's foster father and ride that.

So, what tires should I look out for? Is there a CX-specific 26in tire, or just a decent compromise MTB tire?

Also, I'm running some cool old GT MTB bullhorns with flat bar brake levers. First, will they let me run the bullhorn bars? Second, would I be happier if I can work out putting some drops on the bike? I've already got some bars and a short stem that would fit.

Ok, assuming I do put drops on the bike, what sort of bar position is good for CX? Do I want a shorter, more upright cockpit? (thinking out loud about the cheapest possible setup....)

Thanks

Dennis

·
Registered
119 Posts
Scwalbe CX Pro.

http://www.biketiresdirect.com/productdetail.asp?p=SCCXP

As far as the bars: I've never been able to get my MTB to feel like a cross bike. I'd find some flatbars and not run barends. (most venues don't allow forward facing bars) That said, there was a guy in a local race here riding a fixie with bullhorns and no brakes! I was afraid, very afraid....

Go race!
-B

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ah, DB Ascent... my first mountain bike. :) Try out the drops. I had drops on mine along w/ single ring and 6sp rear w/ single bar end shifter. Was a blast. The bike has lived many lives, but currently serves as grocery getter / coffee cruiser. :D

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That crazy smokey paint...

Thanks for the link to that tire. That's darned reasonable, and would probably make a nice winter commute tire as well.

My ascent is, I think, just a few years earlier. I still have some of the Miami Vice color blocks mixed in with the strange smoke-swirled paint. How the hell did they do that in mass production volume?
Oh, and mine had BioPace as well. In fact, unless I'm mistaken, it still has a BP ring on it now!

Thanks for the encouragement, guys. Sounds like that bike will do fine, with either the horns cut off those bars or with my drops.

·
Registered
12 Posts
grisezd said:
My ascent is, I think, just a few years earlier. I still have some of the Miami Vice color blocks mixed in with the strange smoke-swirled paint. How the hell did they do that in mass production volume?
Oh, and mine had BioPace as well. In fact, unless I'm mistaken, it still has a BP ring on it now!
Mine actually came with BioPace too. 18 speed thumbshifters, and a chainstay-mounted U-brake. And I do have some funky pastel color blocks somewhere in the logo I think. Don't know how they did the smoke effect... alls I know is, I had to have it! :D

Don't forget the pics when the bike is done.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.