Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

21 - 40 of 338 Posts

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,534 Posts
1 drop per roller, no 'stream'. For whatever reason I do this on the bottom run of chain, not on the cassette.
This is the way I do it. One drop per roller. Then wipe the outside clean as I run the pedals backwards. Clean when I start ride after lubing, it's always kinda gunky after the first ride. So I wipe the chain again with a WD-40 soaked rag (Mike T.'s method), then give it another clean dry rag wipe. Now it's good until the next lube - 500 miles or until caught in the rain, whichever comes first.

·
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
8,097 Posts
No, and no. 1 drop per roller, no 'stream'. For whatever reason I do this on the bottom run of chain, not on the cassette. You chain should look pretty much clean ALL the time. I'm not super picky about chain lube as long as you can clean it easily. I hate wax. I cannot recommend Pedro's degreaser enough, the thickish amber colored stuff. I hate aerosol spray degreasers, they have too many solvents and dry off way to quickly. The Pedro's can be brushed on and it stays on the chain and cogs doing it's thing til you wash it off. I used a big car washing sponge and lots of suds to clean the chain after degreasing. Rinse w/ water, dry it, lube it...done.
This is the way I do it. One drop per roller. Then wipe the outside clean as I run the pedals backwards. Clean when I start ride after lubing, it's always kinda gunky after the first ride. So I wipe the chain again with a WD-40 soaked rag (Mike T.'s method), then give it another clean dry rag wipe. Now it's good until the next lube - 500 miles or until caught in the rain, whichever comes first.
Thanks guys! I learned something new today :thumbsup:

·
Registered
19,417 Posts
I apply a small stream of oil to the chain (at the cassette) and let it go for one revolution, using the master link as a reference, then stop using the oil.

Is that the proper thing to do?
That just wastes lube. (You don't need lube on the cassette) Makes a mess. And increases the probability that you're going to drip oil onto your rim (or disc brake) causing brake squeal and ineffective braking.

No, and no. 1 drop per roller, no 'stream'. For whatever reason I do this on the bottom run of chain, not on the cassette.
Doing it on the bottom of the run gives the lube a few seconds to wick into the roller before getting wiped onto the chain rings.
And if you apply too much it's not going to drip on your wheels.

That's my whatever reasons.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,224 Posts
Thanks guys! I learned something new today :thumbsup:
I don't use a drop, nor do I use a stream. I use a partial drop per roller. Basically I open the bottle until it will drip but not run out, then put the tip on the bottom run of chain and backpedal. The chain will take oil that way, but less than a drop per link. Then wipe. Admittedly, that takes some practice to make it apply enough but not too much.

I do a final step too. When all done and wiped, I pedal the bike with good force on the stand. If it is a parking lot lube (rain during transport, for example), I ride around the parking lot. That forces much of any excess out, for a final wipe. I usually give a quick wipe after the first ride as well, per Lombard. That gets the very last of any excess off.

This has done me well, even for MTB in dry, western USA conditions.

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Correct:

Incorrect:

I made this very mistake a few weeks ago. The rear wheel kept slipping in the horizontal dropouts every time I applied any serious pedal pressure. After trying max tightness on the QR, I pulled over, pulled the wheel off, and realized I installed the spring backwards

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
I don't use a drop, nor do I use a stream. I use a partial drop per roller. Basically I open the bottle until it will drip but not run out, then put the tip on the bottom run of chain and backpedal. The chain will take oil that way, but less than a drop per link. Then wipe. Admittedly, that takes some practice to make it apply enough but not too much.

I do a final step too. When all done and wiped, I pedal the bike with good force on the stand. If it is a parking lot lube (rain during transport, for example), I ride around the parking lot. That forces much of any excess out, for a final wipe. I usually give a quick wipe after the first ride as well, per Lombard. That gets the very last of any excess off.

This has done me well, even for MTB in dry, western USA conditions.
I use homebrew at 4 to 1 ratio. I squirt a stream on the chain, get it wet, than wipe it down multiple times. I don't have the kind of patience it takes to put individual drops on a chain

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,534 Posts
I use homebrew at 4 to 1 ratio. I squirt a stream on the chain, get it wet, than wipe it down multiple times. I don't have the kind of patience it takes to put individual drops on a chain
I am using a 1 to 1 homebrew with equal parts synthetic motor oil and mineral spirits. What is your 4 to 1 formula?

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Not sure what you're doing, it takes about 5 seconds. As someone else posted you're basically letting the chain pull the drops of lube from the tip of the bottle. No need to laboriously apply one single drop at a time on each roller, just run the chain under the bottle, but w/o squirting it all over.

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Not sure what you're doing, it takes about 5 seconds. As someone else posted you're basically letting the chain pull the drops of lube from the tip of the bottle. No need to laboriously apply one single drop at a time on each roller, just run the chain under the bottle, but w/o squirting it all over.
I am cleaning and lubing at the same time. I use homebrew with mostly mineral spirits. Squirt it on, wipe down the chain. I'll repeat if there is still crud coming off on the wiping ray

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
I am using a 1 to 1 homebrew with equal parts synthetic motor oil and mineral spirits. What is your 4 to 1 formula?
4 parts odorless mineral spirits, 1 part motor oil. I have experimented with a higher percentage of oil but I think that just attracts more dirt without any noticeable benefit. Back in the day, it was said that one must use Mobil 1 synthetic. I've used both synthetics and conventional stuff made from dead dinosaurs and I highly doubt it matters. I have tried many different lubes over the years but I have mostly used home brew since the late 1990's

·
Schuylkill Trail Bum
5,054 Posts
O noze!!!

Not another Home Brew Chain Lube Recipe thread!!

CX... isn't there a more appropriate subforum for chain lube recipe stuff?

:D

·
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
8,097 Posts
really...?

120 links takes about 120 seconds.

granted, that's some serious time, but still...
The argument is that 120 seconds (drop per drop) is a heckuva lot longer than backpedalling the chain a few times at what, 4-5 seconds per revolution, while being a little more aggressive with the speed by which oil is applied.

·
Schuylkill Trail Bum
5,054 Posts
really...?

120 links takes about 120 seconds.

granted, that's some serious time, but still...
... 120 seconds if you're slow. Winding my chain backward while holding a cloth underneath where I'm dropping a drop per roller... I can do 2 or 3 rollers per second.

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Why do people want to convert others to their chain lube regiment? Its like chain lube Jehovah Witnesses.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I am cleaning and lubing at the same time. I use homebrew with mostly mineral spirits. Squirt it on, wipe down the chain. I'll repeat if there is still crud coming off on the wiping ray
What oil are you using? I think I'm gonna mix some up and give it a go.

·
Rub it............
3,833 Posts
The crowd that applies the "more is better" thought to doing things. Has this been seen on any Campy Record or Dura Ace equipped bikes?
It applies to all levels. I've seen Sram Red coated like CX posted. Just a sloppy mess.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
CX, hit us with the funny stuff too - you know, the ones the customers bring in and you have do your best to keep a poker face as you explain the errs of their ways.

Example: A friend brought a kid's bike to my house that was "... just unridable - the brakes, gears, nothing works right" I looked at the bike... rotated the handlebar 360 degrees and said "There ya go."

I can imagine you've seen some ridiculous stuff over the years
I think he should set up a video because I want to see his poker face, then he can tell us what was really going through his head, lol.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,534 Posts
4 parts odorless mineral spirits, 1 part motor oil. I have experimented with a higher percentage of oil but I think that just attracts more dirt without any noticeable benefit.
Hmmm. Maybe I'll try more mineral spirits in my homebrew and see if that works cleaner after the first ride. The first ride seems to slime up the chain something awful because of lube working its way out of the rollers. Though as I said, a WD-40 soaked rag after that followed by a dry wipe cleans it up real nice and I'm good until the next lube.

I have tried many different lubes over the years but I have mostly used home brew since the late 1990's
How many miles do you generally get out of your chains?

21 - 40 of 338 Posts