Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All :)

I am looking for a cycle computer that is compatable with STI Levers, with my dura ace 10 speed groupset.

I have seen the shimano flightdeck, but it is a bit on the small side for my liking, it also doesn't have a backlight for night riding.

Do you know of any other cycle computers that are compatable with STI Levers, have a backlight, can measure speed and candecence, and are preferrably wireless?

Steve

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
TI_roadracer said:
Hello All :)

I am looking for a cycle computer that is compatable with STI Levers, with my dura ace 10 speed groupset.

I have seen the shimano flightdeck, but it is a bit on the small side for my liking, it also doesn't have a backlight for night riding.

Do you know of any other cycle computers that are compatable with STI Levers, have a backlight, can measure speed and candecence, and are preferrably wireless?

Steve
The Flight Deck is the only one that can connect to the shifters, know what gear you are in and calculate a 'virtual cadence'. - TF

·
Registered
208 Posts
TI_roadracer said:
Is this a good enough reason to go with campy record and their ergobrain?
Don't ask us your opinion, that's for you to decide.. although, I personally wouldn't switch from Shimano to Campy (well; vice versa in my case) just becuase a computer is too small and has no backlight..

·
Registered
376 Posts
Couldn't agree more

llvllatt said:
Don't ask us your opinion, that's for you to decide.. although, I personally wouldn't switch from Shimano to Campy (well; vice versa in my case) just becuase a computer is too small and has no backlight..
IMHO, the Flight Deck is a great computer. WAY better than the Ergobrain. I used wireless Flight Decks on two bikes and loved them. I switched to Campy when I went 10 speed, and while I love the shifters, etc., the Ergobrain is far inferior to the Flight Deck. And I have not used the backlight more than once.

As noted, go with a gruppo based on what you like. If you like Shimano, give the Flight Deck a shot. You won't be sorry.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My experience with both...

I use both Shimano and Campagnolo 10 speed gruppos, am satisfied with both, and would not pick one over the other based solely on the computer.

My long distance/training bike has Dura Ace with a Flight Deck wireless computer. I have seen mentioned on these boards, but cannot confirm, that the Shimano computer is made by Cateye. In any case, the Flight Deck is very nicely integrated with the shifters and has the advantage of providing a virtual cadence, since it knows what gear it is in. Some riders are uncomfortable with the idea of a non-zero cadence reading when they are not pedalling but I am not.

I used to accidentally hit the Flight Deck buttons (somewhat annoying) on the hoods in the beginning but not anymore. Somewhere along the line my subconscious got used to them.

I am satisfied with this setup, although I get the occasionally funky max speed reading - "Wow I didn't realize I was going 44 mph over flat ground, I must really be getting stronger!" Stuff happens with wireless...

I also use the Flight Deck computer on my 'vacation' bike, which has 9 speed Shimano 105, with no problems whatsoever.

On my 'racing' bike which has Record, I might have used the Ergo Brain if a wireless version was available, since like the Flight Deck it displays the gears selected. It was not and the (wired) version that is available is quite expensive and forces you to place cables all over the bike for speed and cadence, unlike Flight Deck. Instead, I chose the Cateye Double Wireless, which has speed+cadence in one sensor that mounts neatly next to the rear wheel. The display is very nice and can show, all in one screen: cadence, speed, distance and ride time. It can also display average cadence, max cadence and total pedal revolutions along with the other usual data.

A word of warning with the max cadence on the Cateye. After a ride, my max cadence is often above 200 rpm. I think that's faster even than a hummingbird can pedal! Once again, stuff happens with wireless...

I ride mostly in the Chicagoland area, so am exposed to more EM noise than are most riders, hence the funky max readings.

Overall though, I think the Shimano Flight Deck is the best integrated wireless system, while the Cateye Double Wireless is the neatest full-featured after-market wireless computer, despite the occasional glitch in each.

My suggestion: pick your bike and gruppo first, then figure out what computer fills your needs.

·
Registered
58 Posts
CATEYE HR200D double wireless with STI

I use a Cateye double wire less 200 with cadence, etc and hear monitor , all in one and
everything is connected to the STI D/ace 10 sp, thanks to a little gizmo that Cateye
is selling separately, very easy and lots of fun ! good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.