Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
iedereen op de fiets
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 Cycle Ops fluid trainer that has starting leaking. Is there anything that I can do to fix the leak or am I SOL? Any suggestions on a replacement?

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
BikinCO said:
I have a 1998 Cycle Ops fluid trainer that has starting leaking. Is there anything that I can do to fix the leak or am I SOL? Any suggestions on a replacement?
I'm surprised it lasted this long! Their early resistance units were plagued by leaking problems. I probably got mine around '98 and would get a new resistance unit about every 6-months to a year under warranty as it would lose resistance as the fluid leaked out. I think the company was sold and the new folks fixed the problem. I've had the resistance unit I have now for years with no problems.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've had 2 Cyclops Fluid trainers leak. The first time the LBS sent it back to the manufacturer and they replaced it. The second time the LBS just gave me a new one. I've had this new one evr since with no problems. I also remember the company being sold sometime during the time I returned the 2nd one.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Cycle-ops has a trade-in deal last I checked. You send them yours and they give you a new one for about 1/2 price, IIRC. That's if it's out of warranty.
BTW, mine is an early 90's model and doesn't leak (knock on wood), it just makes a humming noise once it's up to temp.
Lou.

·
Becasue you only need 1
31 Posts
My lake 90's fluid training sprung the leak about 1 1/2 years ago. emailed the company and sent them the resistance unit only and they replaced with an entire new trainer - stand and all for 1/2 the price of a new unit.

From what I had read it was due to the gaskets they used at the time. newer ones have better design.

Pretty good customer service imo. i am still trying to figure out what to use the old stand for.

·
iedereen op de fiets
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sweet, I just spoke with Sarah Burton with Saris Cycling and they are sending me a new resistance unit. Not bad, eh?

·
Registered
767 Posts
grampy bone said:
The Kinetic is has a good article on its site about its leak-proof construction (Biased article, I know).

My kurt kinetic started leaking in the first month - luckily, LBS replaced no questions asked. No such thing as leak proof :(

·
iedereen op de fiets
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I called and was given an RA# for a new resistance unit. I paid $13.00 for shipping and insurance at UPS and it went out on March 17th. I recieved my replacement on the 25th via FedEx. The new resistance unit is very smooth and a little more quiet than the old one.

I highly recommend the CyclOps fluid trainer. It is a great product and they stand behind it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts