Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy
Lately I've been doing a bit of cycling on a cyclepath that runs around the bay where I live (I'm still getting my confidence back after getting hit by a van a few months ago).

Last night I'm doing my normal thing of keeping to the left (I'm in the UK, we drive on the left over here, before all you yanks start getting confused :p) when a guy coming towards me just stayed heading straight for me. I held my line, but he didn't move out of the way (i.e to his left) and we both ended up stopping inches from each other.
He asked me where *I* thought I was going...?

He was on a mountain bike, so not going that fast. He had a kid in tow as well, but there was plenty of time for him to get both of them over far enough for me to get through. I could also have easily gone around them, but thought sticking to the left more consistent with the rules of the road..

Is there some unwritten rule I'm unaware of about faster bikes being expected to move around slower (cycle path) traffic, or was he in the wrong for staying to his right?

·
Registered
72 Posts
That happens pretty often here in Oz (we go on the left too) although it's usually visiting folks who are used to traveling on the right. My policy is to hold my line until it's apparent that the other guy is not going to yield, then I yield.

In my book a slight inconvenience is far better than a crash or fist fight. Most of the time they're clueless to what they're doing anyway.

·
What the what???
12,986 Posts
This may not apply, but there is a small circular trail near where I live that is designated one-way. The direction alternates on different days of the week.

·
SoCal--S Beach to the Dam
1,032 Posts
I'm in SoCal where we have a bikepath that runs from the beach to the mountains. It's about a 35 mile ride from one end to the other. One lane each way. People are going all over the place. I go into the wrong way traffic because of it. It is a mess mostly because of non-cyclist on the "BIKEPATH" A lot of it runs along parks where these non-cyclist should be. They complain alot about the bikes on the "BIKEPATH" just like the drivers on the road complain about the bikes in the "BIKELANE" There is no etiquette. You really have to be on your toes to what everybody is doing which is mostly wrong. I've had to leave the path because of the high school track team praticing across both lanes and they have a coach on a bike behind them. He just doesn't care about the bikes. You either wait until they are done or leave.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This may not apply, but there is a small circular trail near where I live that is designated one-way. The direction alternates on different days of the week.
that sounds like a recipe for disaster :)
I have a hard enough time remembering which week is paper recycling and which is plastic

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.