Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
cyclist
7,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in Maui last year during this event, but didn't get to spectate or take pictures (I had other "priorities" on this trip due to my s.o.)

How hard is this event? I know it is 36 miles, and climbs to the top (or near the top) of Haleakala, but how many feet of total elevation is it? Do you start at sea level? Are there any other events like this one anywhere else on the islands?

Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
5 Posts
How hard is this event? I know it is 36 miles, and climbs to the top (or near the top) of Haleakala, but how many feet of total elevation is it?

Do you start at sea level?

Essentially. The official start is probably at about 50' and the official finish elevation is just under 10,000.

Are there any other events like this one anywhere else on the islands?

Nothing else quite like this one.

Thanks for any info.

Here is the url to the event's home page: Cycle To The Sun

·
Registered
15 Posts
Never did the actual race, but did the ride to the top on my old Lemond TSX frame a ew years ago when I was on vacation ... all I can say is...be prepared to SUFFER!!!! (And i went to Hawaii to relax :) )

The initial part of the climb isn't too bad until you officially enter the park...then it starts pitching up into the swithbacks.

Its a total rush though, and when you get to the top you're almost like a celebrity because everyone driving up has witnessed you going up!!

Just remember, whats goes up, must come down!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
bikejr said:
Looks like if you do the actual organized race you don't get to ride down :(
I've ridden to the top three times, most recently as part of Cycle to the Sun. I've never felt like biking down and have always caught a ride afterwards.

As someone who lives and rides in the cool pacific northwest, I've found the combination of the heat, altitude, and humidity leaves me completely drained.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I did this ride in the spring. Very....interesting. I actually left from Lahina so I had a pretty long day when it was all said and done.

The ride up is actually pretty gradual. Nothing really steep, just very long and consistent. If you've spent a little time on the bike you can certianly make the ride. I would have to say the ride down was harder then the ride up. It was wet, cold, and windy and I couldn't feel the bike under me so it made for a stressful trip down. It takes a while before you get to a point where you can start pedaling to generate some heat!

The only advice I would recommend is be sure to carry some decent gear to protect you from the elements. And a good camera for some pictures of you at the top!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts