Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been picking away at all the tech options for cycling and decided to switch back to giving the iPhone and Cyclemeter another try. Cyclemeter is, without a doubt - awesome. I need to really give it a fair shot despite it being an app that's running on the iPhone, Apple Watch, etc. The frustrating thing is that it's so comprehensive and seems to be able to do just about anything, but there doesn't seem to be a really comprehensive manual for it. Well, it only takes an email to their tech support and you get just that - a personal reply with every possible detail outlined for what you're trying to do. That's somewhat different but hey, if their thing is to be that personalized and responsive then that's great. I've not had to wait more than a day after firing off some really techie lists of questions (that most people probably wouldn't ask) and I get back a really detailed email that is extremely helpful. Out of 5 stars I'd give these guys a 5+++ on support. Abvio | Cyclemeter

So, the iPhone 7 is water resistant, and I already have one so I'm going with this over dropping $600. on the Garmin. I know that the Garmin is different and has other features and some may say there are less complicated ways to do this but this is the direction that I'm going in given what I'm looking for.

With a full charge and brightness not blazing, the iPhone does it's thing even with the screen on full-time. My rides aren't exceeding a couple hours so I'm good with the battery life.

The QuadLock mount is as good as it gets. I've been running with it, paddling with it, kitesurfing with it and of course cycling with it. In my opinion there's nothing better. https://www.quadlockcase.com

The heart rate monitor works flawlessly, so I'm good there. This is the one I'm using:
Suunto Smart Sensor - Multisport heart rate sensor

The previous conflict I was having with music playing from another app is resolved by playing music from within the Cyclemeter app.

The data tracking in Cyclemeter is without a doubt, excellent. It records everything I love to see and feeds it seamlessly into Apple's Activity app, which coordinates with the Apple Watch and Apple Health. Again, this is what I'm going for - a total lifestyle management setup that interfaces well together. I'm sure there are other ways, but I'm approaching this from where I am with the things I've already got, such as the watch, and the iPhone.

I'm starting this thread to share what I'm working with and help out anyone who's interested since I've put so much effort into this stuff.

Ciao.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm sure someone will find this useful. Almost all of the cyclists I know, are Garmin users. A couple use Polar. I think one guy still uses his iPhone. I'll have to see if he uses that app, and recommend it if he does't and needs more info. I was going to get a watch but built up a new bike instead so will have to wait a bit.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update:

I scrapped the apple watch series 2, apple health, etc. Finally just got the Garmin 820 bundle, Strava, MyFitnessPal and I'm awaiting the new Garmin watch. The iPhone is a good device, but only for a central place to look at things. As for the rest of the Apple "fitness" stuff - you can keep it. The fact that Apple Health isn't even compatible with the Garmin is ridiculous. I think the Apple Watch is a really cool product - for what it does. Problem is, it doesn't do what it needs to do for fitness and it isn't designed to work with other necessary components. If you want a really cool tech gadget, yeah - the watch is nice. It's just lagging when it comes to fitness resource compatibility and sharing data.

Rides that don't record the heart rate monitor data on Cyclemeter, the inability to export and share data, erratic nonsense data collected from the watch's heart rate monitor, no paddling or rowing compatibility, etc. I could go on but why bother. I've got a $450. rowing/paddling computer - can't talk to Apple. The Garmin 820 - can't talk to Apple. Apple Health - can't talk to Strava. I just went with all Garmin & Strava. Enough said. It's all automatic and works perfectly - with TONS of data to view and analyze. Oh, but thank God for the "RunGap" app.. Without this it would have been impossible to bring all of my workout data into the new platforms. I gave the Apple / iPhone / Watch setup a really fair shot - but it's just not designed for serious use. It's just too limited as to compatibility with the best products out there.

I should have just started with the 820 and connected it to Strava. Definitely the best setup so far.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts