Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
Saw this while looking online for indoor trainers today. It's similar to CycleOps' Riser Block in that it's made to lift one's front wheel off the floor while training indoors. On the other hand, it has settings/levels to lift the front wheel HIGHER than the rear wheel--it's also stackable, which is a cool idea. They CLAIM that it actually makes climbing workouts tougher/more difficult due to the angle you're riding at. Surely it's more similar to ascending grades, but can the angle you're sitting at somehow INCREASE the difficulty of the workout you're doing? Anyone out there know this to be true or false?

Perhaps I'm merely a rube here, but I just don't buy it (and so may not buy it). If you can help with experience on this, by all means explain. I'd be interested to hear it.

Cheers and happy (indoor) training,
Nige

·
For president!
7,802 Posts
It doesn't make it any harder, maybe if they put it at a 45 degree angle it would be tough to stay on your bike!

Otherwise, unless you're actually dragging your body up something, no extra work is involved.

As to the position change, it may make a very small difference. But, since the steepest hills we climb are around 10%, or 5 degrees, it's probably not much.

Silas

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,405 Posts
It just gets you body used to being at a 5-10 deg angle. To get the same effect, just stick a piece of 2X12 under your front wheel block.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
It changes the seat-tube angle and puts the pedals further in front of you. This in fact does make it more difficult to maintain your normal cadence. The slower, more difficult cadence, further simulates climbing.

I often ride the trainer with the front elevated as much as 4 inches. It makes a difference.

·
Registered
727 Posts
it does make a difference-i wouldnt have one if it hadnt been an extra around the shop that i got for free though- honestly, a 2x4 or phone book would accomplish the exact same thing.

·
classiquesklassieker
3,106 Posts
cmatcan said:
it does make a difference-i wouldnt have one if it hadnt been an extra around the shop that i got for free though- honestly, a 2x4 or phone book would accomplish the exact same thing.
The plastic thingie is actually shaped to hold your wheel properly, and the bottom of it is way grippier than your usual phone book. So it reduces the probability of the assembly slipping from under your front wheel.

Jus' sayin'.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts