Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there an app that would allow me to load courses from my garmin or google maps and work with a smart trainer to control resistance/power based on the elevation and power/ftp?
I wish trainerroad had this feature...
Thanks

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Thanks for the replies everyone. Pitt have you tried it with your kickr?
A few times, just to mess around. It works well for gradients up to 15%, after 15% it is out of the kickr sim range. The only thing that it kinda stinks is downhill. Downhill there is no resistance which is to be expected but when your going downhill you get gravity assist.

Tacx neo apparently has a motor to simulate this downhill thrust.
tacx.com - NEO-T2800

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I understood correctly this means that with the kickr/cvt combo on downhill - you are pedalling with resistance and with he neo there would be an assist simulating like it is when actually riding outdoors down a hill?

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
If I understood correctly this means that with the kickr/cvt combo on downhill - you are pedalling with resistance and with he neo there would be an assist simulating like it is when actually riding outdoors down a hill?
Exactly tacx neo simulated up to 5% descent, meaning you have to work harder to generate wattage down hill.

Downhill with a kickr the resistance unit is just turned down all the way, so your just fighting the flywheel.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
Wahoo has an iPad app called segments.. You could create any segment on strava and then load it with their app. It was cool when it worked.. But I think they started to ignore it and it's crap the last time I tried it... Power was at half the effort..meaning 300w was 150w reported. Really bs

·
Registered
15 Posts
What about using Golden Cheetah? I was able to get that connected to my Tacx smart trainer and then pedal around and have it move the marker on the map and the Google Streetview, but I couldn't get it to adjust difficulty based on slope. I imported a course I created as a .fit file. I haven't tried it again with a different file format, but their website implies that it has the ANT+ FE-C capability, plus it's free.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
What about using Golden Cheetah? I was able to get that connected to my Tacx smart trainer and then pedal around and have it move the marker on the map and the Google Streetview, but I couldn't get it to adjust difficulty based on slope. I imported a course I created as a .fit file. I haven't tried it again with a different file format, but their website implies that it has the ANT+ FE-C capability, plus it's free.
Golden cheetah works to a degree. I have used it with my kickr and it works, just that the gui it uses can be glitchy and buggy.

For tacx i think you need a firmware update.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've made the firmware upgrade and was able to load a course through my Garmin to control the resistance based on slope, but I think I just need to tinker with Golden Cheetah some more to find the right setup.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.