Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be going to Fort Davis to cycle for 4 days in May and I was wondering if anyone had cycling route suggestions. I have been there before and cycled to the observatory and I have also ridden from Fort davis to Alpine and back.

I am planning on doing the 74 mile Fort davis scenic fort davis loop, and I was thinking about doing the Fort Davis-Alpine-Marfa loop. Any suggestions on directions to ride either one of these? Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks,

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
1Ricer said:
I will be going to Fort Davis to cycle for 4 days in May and I was wondering if anyone had cycling route suggestions. I have been there before and cycled to the observatory and I have also ridden from Fort davis to Alpine and back.

I am planning on doing the 74 mile Fort davis scenic fort davis loop, and I was thinking about doing the Fort Davis-Alpine-Marfa loop. Any suggestions on directions to ride either one of these? Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks,
is that loop you're doing the one featured in the Texas Monthly a few months back?

part of the beauty of west texas is that thehre aren't that many roads - so lots of different routes may be limited

please post pictures from your ride on when you get back

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
M.J. said:
is that loop you're doing the one featured in the Texas Monthly a few months back?

part of the beauty of west texas is that thehre aren't that many roads - so lots of different routes may be limited

please post pictures from your ride on when you get back
Not sure if was the one featured in Texas monthly, but more than likely it was. It is supposed to be one of the most scenic rides in Texas.

I will post some pics when I get back.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have done the 75mi loop. We started at the Prude Ranch and rode "away" from the observatory, made the loop finishing passing the observatory and back to the ranch. Great ride, good roads, light traffic. Coming from sea level it was quite a challenge. People don't think of Texas as having mountains. Fort Davis has a higher elevation than Denver.

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
4900 not equal to 5280

LEW 3 said:
Fort Davis has a higher elevation than Denver.
I did a google on Ft Davis and it's listed at 4900 feet. Not quite the 5280 (mile high) of Denver.;) I'm not saying it's not high, but you were incorrect with your statement.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts