Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, it's been a while since I've posted. in August 2015 my kidney transplant rejected and I started dialysis again. Initially my kidneys failed in 1998 from bacterial meningitis (when I was 17) and I received a transplant in 2001 that just rejected about 9 months ago. When I got the transplant in 2001 I began cycling and became a seasoned cyclist. All of that slowed down when I started dialysis again. I would still ride, but for only about 10 miles a week (mostly single track xc mountain bike trails). In Janurary 2016 I decided to start putting more mileage in and built it up to 100mi a week. I have found that I usually sweat 4-5 lbs of water weight each ride in the summer months and this helps with how much I weigh when I go into treatment (so the dialysis clinic doesn't have to pull as much weight). Lately I've been riding really strong and getting in longer rides and I put in 210 miles this week! Just wanted to share my story because cycling 100 or 200 miles a week as a dialysis patient is possible. Here is my strava http://strava.com/athletes/aus10m

Attachments

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
Incredible! Congrats bro! That's amazing!

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,808 Posts
I never would have thought something like that could be done by a dialysis patient. Do you ever run across any electrolyte problems while riding? I suppose you track your weight pretty closely pre and post ride?

Kudos and ride on!

·
Registered
960 Posts
My kidney issues are not anyway close to your, but one consistent warning is to guard against dehydration. What does your Dr say about the weight loss?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the nice comments everyone! I weigh myself two or three times everyday and am on fluid restrictions. In dialysis they take me down to 60 kilos (this is my dry-weight). If i go in to treatment at 65 kilos they will try to remove 5 kilos in 3.5 hours (to take me down to my dry-weight of 60kilos). Cycling helps because I sweat out water weight, so its less weight/fluid the dialysis clinic pulls from my blood stream and less stress on my heart/body. For electrolyte replacement, I use the scratch labs drink mix. Also I've been eating the shot-bloc energy gels on longer rides.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,443 Posts
Chainslap,

First of all, Kudos to you for your courage and commitment! I agree with Christine that cycling really is the best medicine. It is something that has pulled me through some emotionally hard times.

My question for a dialysis patient would be that of regulating liquid intake. How do you balance to make sure you don't get too dehydrated while at the same time being careful not to over hydrate and strain your organs? Also, isn't it true that it is also important not to get too many electrolytes?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My Dr said that electrolyte drinks are good for me, and so are certain protein drinks. On my bike rides I've been consuming a normal amount of water (1 bottle an hour) and I still shed 4-5lbs of water weight each ride during summer months. Since I dialyze from 330pm to 7pm, I can usually fit in a morning bike ride before treatment, and when I go into treatment after riding they still take me down to 60 kilos. I am on a "renal diet" which is basically low potassium and low phosphorus. I have to stay away from milk, potatoes, cheese, tomatoes, ice cream, beer, nuts, and basically anything that tastes good (its a long list). If I do cheat on my diet, I am supposed to take a binder (phoslo, tums) to help process it.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,443 Posts
My Dr said that electrolyte drinks are good for me, and so are certain protein drinks. On my bike rides I've been consuming a normal amount of water (1 bottle an hour) and I still shed 4-5lbs of water weight each ride during summer months. Since I dialyze from 330pm to 7pm, I can usually fit in a morning bike ride before treatment, and when I go into treatment after riding they still take me down to 60 kilos. I am on a "renal diet" which is basically low potassium and low phosphorus. I have to stay away from milk, potatoes, cheese, tomatoes, ice cream, beer, nuts, and basically anything that tastes good (its a long list). If I do cheat on my diet, I am supposed to take a binder (phoslo, tums) to help process it.
So you do dialysis every day? I used to know someone who was a dietician in a dialysis unit. Most of her patients came in 2-3 times per week. Many were also diabetic which complicated matters even more for them. She showed me the list of banned foods and it made me cringe!

·
Registered
553 Posts
You are just awesome man. Keep up the fight as you are a true winner.

Your story makes me feel silly for sitting here feeling sorry for myself because I have missed 5 weeks of riding secondary to a torn Achille's. You have inspired me.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Y'all. I am glad to help inspire other people while doing this! It also inspires me knowing that you all get a kick out of it.

I do Hemodialysis which is 3 times a week through an av fistula in my right arm (you can kind of see it in the photo above), the alternative form of dialysis is called peritoneal dialysis where you have a tube coming out of your abdomen and dialyze each night when you sleep. I prefer Hemodialysis because no tubes, but I had to get used to 15g needles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Very inspirational! I got into cycling when I was diagnosed with lymphoma and had back surgery. I will never be an athlete but it helps me to stay healthy and keep walking! Thanks for sharing your story!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts