Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that on the various audio internet forums that there seems to be a disproportionately large number of audiophiles and audio industry folks that also happen to be cyclists or at least appear to be regular riders, both sport and recreational. I've even recognised a few monikers here from hifi sites like Audio Asylum,etc.and the recent thread on "Trainer Stereos" got me wondering-

How many of you also consider yourself to be an audiophile or have at one time or another had more than a casual interest in hifi equipment, home theatre or stereo reproduction?

My defination of an audiophile would be anyone that strives to achieve the best possible sonic and musical qualities out of their music systems as a hobby or regular activity, irregardless of the actual expenditure made or the complexity /sophistication of their music systems.

If so, whatcha runnin'?

best,
k

·
Frog Whisperer
40,873 Posts
old stuff....
Sansui AU-7700 as pre-amp
Macintosh 2100 as power amp
laptop for mp3
Phillips/Magnavox for CD
all coming thru and old set of AVID 103 speakers

It would cost a fortune to replace it with new stuff that SOUNDS as good
besides...being 53 it reproduces sound way better than my ears are capable of translating it.

Don't use any of it for training...just listen to my heart or the radio or a cd on a cheapie fisher setup.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Former Audiophile. Used to go through equipment like I do bike stuff now. I had Marantz tube amps, homebuilt speakers with KEF drivers, AR TT with Separate tonearm etc. Don't forget the Mobile Fidelity Sound lab LP's and Nautilus direct-to-disk. Yep I was an audiophile. And this was before I had a real job, just a young audio equipment salesman without a mortgage or car payment. Now I'm a married software engineer with a bike, mortgage, and the other stuff of adult life.

As I got older I decided that the music (and my money) mattered more than the equipment I used to listen to it. Now its typical consumer stuff, pioneer, polk etc and I listen to my iPod at work more than anything else. My system at home is setup for home theatre so I have a nice TV but the audio is middle of the road, it works fine for my older ears. I think that the middle of the road stuff today sounds almost as good as the audiophile stuff then. No matter what the big buck guys say. IMHO it's like bike gear, that last 10% of performance that's hard to see costs a lot more than the other 90%.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Pass Labs X-350 Amp
Cary Audio SLP-98P Preamp
Cary 306/200 CD Player
Sumiko Turntable
Custom Speakers
dedicated 20 amp outlets

My youngest daughter (age 8) is active in both my hobbies. I have a trail-a-bike for when we ride, and she enjoys listening to music with me in the evenings. My son (age 14) will ride with me, but has no interest in my music. My oldest daughter (age 16) has no interest in bicycling, but is developing an interest in audio.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Tannoy Arena 5.1
Electro-Voice Subwoofers
Marrantz Pro Reciever
Alesis Sub Amp

Mowtown Rules! If Jamerson was a cyclist he'd been 20x TDF winner. Benny Benjamin too.

·
Rep *****.
9,795 Posts
I used to do design work for speaker manufacturers. I strived for the best possible with carefull attention to expenditure. If I ignored budget concerns the speakers would cost more in shipping than in parts.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
I guess some would try to classify me as an audiophile... though a relatively lax one.

Old stereo:
SAE 2800 Parametric Eq (stored)
SAE 2100L Preamp (stored)
SAE 2200 Power Amp (stored)

Kenwood KD-2070 Direct Drive turntable (stored)
Mitsubishi LT-5V Linear Tracking turntable

(both have a Shure stylus, but I can't remember which one)

Kenwood KT-900 AM/FM tuner (stored)

Pioneer CT-F1000 cassette tape decks (stored)
Akai GX 747 Open Reel (stored)

Craptacular but rebuilt Optimus T-100 speakers (with polypro woofers and ribbon tweeters)

Various omni full range mics

New Stereo:
Mitsubishi LT-5V Linear Tracking turntable
Onkyo DX-702 CD player
Onkyo TX-DS696 Receiver
Sony TC-WE835S Dual cassette deck
Toshiba SD-5109 DVD
Infinity IL-60 powered speakers

I still use both the turntable and cassette players due to a large media library in those formats. I also use a couple of standalone devices (portable hard drives) to convert analog to digital (from MP3 to WAV formats).

Don't rag on my wallpaper...

·
Roadie with unshaven legs
2,027 Posts
I was once a person who wanted to become an audiophile. I just plain did not have the money.

Fast forward a decade plus and I have the old Sansui AU-717 and TU717 sitting there collecting dust and a new Philips suround sound receiver now drives my old JBL L26s. The Sansui components and speakers I bought, used, doing summer jobs in high school. I just recently decided to sell the Philips receiver and revive the old stereo.

·
off the back
15,267 Posts
i wouldn't consider myself an audiophile, as that implies someone who cares more about the gear than about the actual enjoyment of the music. and i just don't have the urge to spend tens of thousands on equipment in search of that elusive "perfect sound". just sound that's "good enough". ;)

but i do have certain minimum expectations for equipment that's a step above the mass market circuit city or best buy stuff. my curent system is:

denon AVR 3300 home theater receiver.
parasound HCR 1500 2 channel power amp
denon dcd 1420 cd player
nakamichi cr 5A cassette deck
namamichi BX 125 cassette deck
AR turntable (alas, not their ES series)
paradigm studio 20 bookshelf speakers.

unfortunately, both nakamichis are in need of repair. and when i do get the money, the denon receiver will be replaced by an Anthem AVM 30 pre/processor, and i will add a pair of paradigm Studio 100 mains, center and sub to go with my studio 20's.and add a parasound five channel amp. then we'll be kickass.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Former hardware editor for Positive Feedback Magazine and a truely hardcore audiophile. I still have a ridiculous amount of money in gear sitting in my listening room. A divorce and mid-life crisis seems to have cured me of audiophilia-nervosa. Now I again enjoy music for music's sake. Oh, and I now love to ride.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
rufus said:
i wouldn't consider myself an audiophile, as that implies someone who cares more about the gear than about the actual enjoyment of the music. and i just don't have the urge to spend tens of thousands on equipment in search of that elusive "perfect sound". just sound that's "good enough". ;)

but i do have certain minimum expectations for equipment that's a step above the mass market circuit city or best buy stuff. my curent system is:
interesting reaction to the term 'audiophile'- I thought it to mean someone that tries to maximise their enjoyment of recorded music.
I take it then that you also would define a 'cyclist' as someone one that is more interested in the gear than the experience, challenge & sensations of riding ? I couldn't help but notice in your profile that you've just acquired a fine Mondonico EL-OS frameset with chrome lugwork,("polished, not carbon") Torelli Triumph rims and full Campagnolo Chorus gruppo. ;)

best,k

·
Registered
194 Posts
I've simplified my approach and I love it.

Pioneer Elite VSX- 49TXi Receiver
Pioneer Elite DV-47Ai
Paradigm Studio Monitors

·
off the back
15,267 Posts
caterham said:
interesting reaction to the term 'audiophile'- I thought it to mean someone that tries to maximise their enjoyment of recorded music.
I take it then that you also would define a 'cyclist' as someone one that is more interested in the gear than the experience, challenge & sensations of riding ? I couldn't help but notice in your profile that you've just acquired a fine Mondonico EL-OS frameset with chrome lugwork,("polished, not carbon") Torelli Triumph rims and full Campagnolo Chorus gruppo. ;)

best,k
it is kinda the same.there's a bit of high-brow snobbery that i feel goes along with the term "audiophile", or any kind of "phile" actually. and i think can similarly be applied to the term "cyclist" in a lot of cases. neither one are particularly suited for those without a certain level of disposable income. i am in no way a good enough rider to really warrant the Mondonico, but i wanted it, and so it is mine.

likewise with those who buy a $10,000 trek madone, or the newest, lightest gadget of the day on the market.

it's not a perjorative thing necessarily, nor is it necessarily a bad thing. just all part of being human.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I never could afford a true high end system, but I ended up mostly happy with the sound I have. When we bought our house, I made sure it had a good room for sound...

Spica TC 30s
Marble base speaker stands
Adcom 535 Preamp/Tuner
Adcom Amp
Marantz DVD/CD player
Harmon Kardon tape deck (haven't used it in years so I gave it to my parents)
Nakamichi SP7 headphones (missing a tiny screw-any suggestions? Nakamichi was useless)
Sennheiser HD555 headphones
Creative X-Fi Platinum soundcard in the home pc

I'm a real estate appraiser who does a lot of work from home, so most of my listening is in the home office through my headphones and the pc. The Creative card has decent sound for a pc. Previous job was with a music distributor for ten years, so I have a decent collection of most types of music.

Interesting thread.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I am an audiophile.
I also represent some manufacturers of stereo equipment.
Of the cyclists I know well, many are audiophiles and musicians.
Of the manufacturers I represent at least one is a cyclist and a musician.

Go figure!

My SET system is

VPI Scout TT
Sony 999 CD/SACD Player
Counterpoint SA5.1 Preamp
ART Audio PX25 Amp
Cain and Cain Abby Speakers
Cain and Cain Bailey Subwoofer

·
gazing from the shadows
27,208 Posts
Akirasho said:
I guess some would try to classify me as an audiophile... though a relatively lax one.
Towel, concrete mass, then turntable. Anyone who puts rocks on their equipment is clearly concerned with sound, not looks.

My HS physics teacher had a concrete pillar for his turntable, and he had it in his basement. Cars driving by, don't you know.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,873 Posts
I guess I'm not an audiophile...

looking at the lists of some of the stuff others are listening WITH.....I guess I am NOT an audiophile, I just love music...I love it CLEAN and at a decent volume. Not to hijack the thread...but more important than what you are listening WITH...what are you listening TO. I just spent a 1/2 hr on the stand, resistance maxed, top 3 gears with Mr John Hiatt, Crossing Muddy Waters...on the mediocre fisher system ..Athlon 1.4 98 SE, Sound Blaster live board, win-amp and mp3 which I always rip myself cause I like em as good as I can get them at 128.

·
Registered
425 Posts
caterham said:
I've noticed that on the various audio internet forums that there seems to be a disproportionately large number of audiophiles and audio industry folks that also happen to be cyclists or at least appear to be regular riders, both sport and recreational. I've even recognised a few monikers here from hifi sites like Audio Asylum,etc.and the recent thread on "Trainer Stereos" got me wondering-

How many of you also consider yourself to be an audiophile or have at one time or another had more than a casual interest in hifi equipment, home theatre or stereo reproduction?

My defination of an audiophile would be anyone that strives to achieve the best possible sonic and musical qualities out of their music systems as a hobby or regular activity, irregardless of the actual expenditure made or the complexity /sophistication of their music systems.

If so, whatcha runnin'?

best,
k
Krell FPB 700 CX Amp
Krell KCT Pre-Amp
Krell KPS 28C CD player
Krell SACD
Basis 2500 TT/Vector 3M arm/Transfig. Temper W cart./EAR 834P phono pre
Sound Labs U1 speakers
BPT 3.5 Sigs
PS Audio 500
SinglePower Maestro ZR with Senn 650 HP
All PAD cabling (power, speaker, inter)
Tweaks: from dedicated 20 amp lines to numerous footers (Rollerblocks, Ceraball, Herbie, Brightstars, Cloud 11, Sound Anchor, Blk Diamond RC, cable lifters, etc., etc.), full room treatment (RealTraps, etc.)

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,256 Posts
One more audiophile

I've generally stopped spending money on stereo equipment in favor of bicycles and musical instruments. I tend to only replace stuff when it wears out, so my stereo has twenty-five year old gear hooked up to year old stuff.

My main system.
Sota Sapphire Turntable with Alphason arm and Alpha Genesis cartridge.
Marantz SA 8260 SACD player.
Primaluna Prologue One integrated amp.
Celestion sl600 speakers.
Finally, about 5,000 lp's, 2,000 old forty-fives, 500 cd's and a handful of 78's.

The room is treated with echo busters. The wire varies from ancient first generation monster cable to some Crystal Cable I just scored at the CES high end show. Yes, I get invited there nearly every year. This year, I heard stuff that just blew my mind, man!

·
off the back
15,267 Posts
dr hoo said:
Towel, concrete mass, then turntable. Anyone who puts rocks on their equipment is clearly concerned with sound, not looks.

My HS physics teacher had a concrete pillar for his turntable, and he had it in his basement. Cars driving by, don't you know.
Gateway Mastering Studios, founded by Bob Ludwig in Portland, Maine, has concrete pillars sunk into the bedrock beneath the earth, that their speakers sit on. no physical vibrations to distort the music.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts