Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a person new to cycling, are there any 'must have' books in any rider's collection? Books about riding technique, racing technique, bike maintenance, and even just some good cycling-related fiction. I've already been suggested Zinn and the Art of Road Bicycle Maintenance. Any other noteworthy books?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintainence

Park Tools big blue book

I'd Google Zinn's book. Park Tool have an excellent web site.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Greg Lemonds book on cycling
Lance Armstrong Program : Performance Program 7 Weeks to the Perfect Ride
We might as well win. (I still am trying to read that, but I've been - busy)
one of my favorites: Curious George Rides a Bike - Got that from library.

·
448 Posts
Roadie: The misunderstood world of a bike racer- Good all around introduction and motivator for a roadie.
The Tour is Won on the Alpe: Alpe D' Huez and the classic battles of the Tour De France- Albiet maybe not a must have but an interesting read on one of the most famous hills and some of the most famous battles in the Tour De France

·
LCI #1853
134 Posts
Robert Hurst. The Art of Urban Cycling: Lessons from the Street. Guilford, CT. The Globe Pequot Press (2004).

A good companion is John Forester's Effective Cycling. Forester tends to present a utopian (and more-than-a-little-bit opinionated) view; Hurst writes from the perspective of someone who's bounced off a few bumpers in his time.

John Allen's Bicycling Street Smarts. You can actually find this online via googling the title.

Bob Mionske, Bicycling and the Law: Your Rights as a Cyclist. Boulder, CO, Velo Press (2007)

Fred Matheny, Fred Matheny’s Complete Book of Road Bike Training. Kutztown, PA, RBR Publishing Co., www.roadbikerider.com (2006)

Joe Friel. Cycling Past 50. Champaign, IL, Human Kinetics (1998)

John Allen, The Complete Book of Bicycle Commuting, Emmaus, PA, Rodale Press (1981) (out of print, but well worth hunting it up in the library)

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
I really liked Bicycling Magazine's "New Cyclist Handbook" Ben Hewitt Ed.
Nice and easy - not too advanced. The books above are probably great, but a Newbie needs some really basic info - this book provides it.

Welcome to the Roadie Brother/Sisterhood!

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
What about a good Bike repair book for a Newbie? The "New Cyclist Handbook" only covers fixing flats and basic tuning. What is a logical next step book that even us guys with ten thumbs can figure out and actually use at home in the garage?

·
Frog Whisperer
40,916 Posts
personally I'd spend my time riding and reading right here on RBR.....we know everything, just ask us

·
Registered
26 Posts
LostViking said:
What about a good Bike repair book for a Newbie? The "New Cyclist Handbook" only covers fixing flats and basic tuning. What is a logical next step book that even us guys with ten thumbs can figure out and actually use at home in the garage?
The Bicycling Guide to Complete Bicycle Maintenance and Repair by Todd Downs.
As a new rider myself, this has helped me with EVERYTHING. Understanding the differences in frame construction, knowing what tools to buy, performing basic repairs...the best part is that all of the different parts/components are given their own chapter and explained at the perfect length. It talks about all the different types of, say, front derailleurs out on the market, and gives you the information you need to go about maintaining and repairing them. A wealth of experience within the 350+ pages. I couldn't give it a higher recommendation.

I feel like looking to many sources for advice can be nothing but beneficial. They all have their own advantages.
The book I mentioned (and others I'm sure) can help immensely - for instance, nobody in this forum or in a LBS is going to write out seven pages of information about, say, wheels and tires succinctly, edited by 10+ sources and geared towards giving a beginner an overall understanding. But you will find that in a book.
This forum has been a blessing in the early stages of owning and maintaining a bike - for example, nowhere else could I get handfuls of opinions on maintaining a certain type of STI shifters.
And going to the LBS can be advantageous as well - for example, a book or forum can never properly evaluate a small dent or give me an opinion on the wear to a pair of clipless pedals.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts