Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Off the back
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In early-January, a lady in an SUV made an illegal u-turn just as I came alongside her. It sent me to the pavement, but not before bouncing off her rear fender. (No exciting crash pics to show any of you rubberneckers; just minor rash here and there.) Long story short, both my bike and my body suffered modest damage. Her insurance took care of the bike and will take care of my medical costs.:ihih:

My worst injury involved my sciatic nerve. This nerve starts in the lower back and runs down the leg. An inflamed sciatic can cause unbearable pain, since it travels thru or under some large muscles in the butt and legs. Amazingly, my injury did not greatly affect my ability to ride, as much as it affected other activities like walking, standing, lifting, or reaching. In the initial stages of my injury, simple tasks like dressing or showering became painfests.:eek6:

So what's so great about crashing my bike? :eek:ut: Well, two months of physical therapy educated me tremendously. The accident exposed a gaping hole in my regimen. During my many years of cycling, I largely neglected key elements of training or working out. This includes performing many stretching exercises, in addition to abdominal, back, and hip strengthening. Working the core muscles – sometimes in combination with ankle and arm weights and an inflatable stability ball – improved my flexibility, balance, and strength, not to mention nearly eliminating my sciatic problem. The physical therapy outfit gave some excellent deep tissue massage, but you can do much of that yourself with a Styrofoam stick and a tennis ball.

Ultimately, it will make me a better cyclist. I plan to ride for many more years and did not want a setback like an accident to affect those plans. All of us read about this in bike mags and all, but we may not incorporate it into our routines. Incidentally, a stability ball runs about $30, the foam stick about $20, a 10-lb adjustable ankle weight around $15, and dumbbells can run $10 per pair. I already own some adjustable dumbbells, where weights exchange quickly.

These two websites provide numerous exercise choices:

http://www.livestrong.com/exercises/ (yep, that’s the Livestrong site. Really good stuff.)

http://www.myfit.ca/exercisedatabase/exercise.asp

Mine focus mostly on hip abduction, abdominal work (bridging, plank, opposite arm/leg raises, etc), stretches (back, hamstring, hip, etc.), and a few arm exercises, with many of these using a stability ball. My routine consists of about a dozen drills that might take an hour per day several times a week. Stretching should be done after a ride or other warm-up exercise. This whole thing really works wonders, so I encourage others to embark on a similar routine. :14:

~Fred (yes, a real, in-the-flesh Fred...Fred's Unite!)

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,437 Posts
Forget the dumbbells.

·
Off the back
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bas said:
sorry to hear about your accident.

check out these ones too:

http://www.bicycling.com/article/1,6610,s1-4-20-15681-1-P,00.html
Thanks. Those are some good exercises on that site. Not sure about that catupult one, however. That might torque my back. Should have been doing that one BEFORE my spill!

I'm as lazy as the next guy. There's far too many exercises shown, so I just pick out about a dozen or so and stick with those. Definitely more motivated to do the stretches and core work nowadays, tho. That's how much I love cycling.

The insurance adjuster will call me shortly. Hope to get the medical/damages thing sorted out today.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yoga Yoga!!!
I wrecked and a year out of the hospital I started yoga. It was great, young hot sweaty chicks and me. It's great for core strength. Make sure you have a good instructor and watch out for back injuries but I really think it helps on the bike.

PS I hope you got a new helmut Mine looked fine after the crash but when I really checked it out it was cracked through out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts