Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for bicycle shorts that would be acceptable for me to wear to work. I need something that would be comfortable while riding, loose, and fairly nice looking for work.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
something to go with this, perhaps?

check out mtn bike stuff

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Wearing padded shorts all day at work can be uncomfortable...

Have you considered a padded brief that you can wear under regular shorts?

Carry a pair of regular briefs with you and change into these when you want to ride home

Or if you don't mind the discomfort, wear them all day underneath regular shorts..There are others availble that are shorter than the ones pictured

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=19943&subcategory_ID=1123

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
Indeed but I don't find the padding to be a problem actually. Once I get home from a bike ride or get to wherever and am off the bike for a fair amount of time, I start to hate the leg grippers for some reason but when I'm on the bike, it doesn't affect me at all.

And I say this even for the silicone grippers that the Nike skinsuits have too.

To the OP - why not just bring a small bag and change to regular shorts or something once you're at work instead? Won't that be the best? No? It gives you the benefit of wearing something fresh at work and also, in whatever comfort level you choose.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
Dave Hickey said:

Carry a pair of regular briefs with you and change into these when you want to ride home

Or if you don't mind the discomfort, wear them all day underneath regular shorts..There are others availble that are shorter than the ones pictured

padded shorts or padded briefs all day = bad idea... either way, you're still in your funk all day, which is a good recipe for saddle sores

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Difficult to Change Clothes at Work ...

I've been wearing hiking style shorts to work for many years. I just thought it would be a good change to find some stylish cycling shorts that I could wear to work instead.

I was thinking about taking extra clothes to work, but sometimes it's more trouble than it's worth. I work as a substitute teacher, and every place I work is different. Some places would be unsafe to leave my bicycle unattended, while I change in the Office bathroom. Some of the offices don't even have enough room for people to stand around!! Some classrooms would not be a good place to change because there is no place to hide, and no curtains on the huge windows, where anyone could look in and see me while I'm changing!!! Not a good choice to make ....

Also, quite often I wouldn't even have time to change anyways. Many places I work don't even open the substitute office until a few minutes before school begins, so I just barely have time to sign in, get the keys, then find the teacher boxes and get whatever I need from there, then walk my bicycle to the classroom, open the room, and look for the lesson plans, read the lesson plans, and do everything else I need to before the students start coming into the room (write my name and date on the board, find the materials that I'll need, etc.).

So, I'm pretty much stuck with wearing shorts to work, and just wearing those shorts all day. We are already into our warm weather, nearly 90 degrees for the past several days, and we're not even into the warm/hot season yet!!!

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Dave Hickey said:

I hate those underwear padded things. Just wear regular bike shorts with some good comfortable shorts over them. Change at the office. It takes two minutes. I am sure you can find a bathroom stall to change in. No way would I wear sweaty padded biking shorts all day. OP is the dude who gives substitute teachers a bad name.

·
I didn't even own a cat..
594 Posts
Why are you able to wear shorts as a substitute teacher? I wouldn't expect that to be allowed at a school. How far are you commuting to the schools?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ncvwnut said:
Why are you able to wear shorts as a substitute teacher? I wouldn't expect that to be allowed at a school. How far are you commuting to the schools?
It is allowed and quite acceptable!!! Some teachers wear shorts everyday, all year long. I wear shorts almost everyday, no matter where I'm going to be ....

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Wow

vja4Him said:
It is allowed and quite acceptable!!! Some teachers wear shorts everyday, all year long. I wear shorts almost everyday, no matter where I'm going to be ....
the dress code seems to have changed since I went to school. No wonder the government is in trouble.

·
Integrated Cyclist
95 Posts
ARP said:
the dress code seems to have changed since I went to school. No wonder the government is in trouble.
The students could give a rip less about what you are wearing. Go work in a modern office, where they do something besides pushing paper. You'll see the same trend.

When I worked as a programmer, I wore jeans and a polo shirt every day. I was the best dressed person there.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Times Are Changing ...

ARP said:
Times are changing and the state of the government has nothing to do with clothes!

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Just remember

vja4Him said:
Times are changing and the state of the government has nothing to do with clothes!
Those that run the government probably came through public schools at some point in their lives. YOU had an impact on them at some point (YOU, meaning a school teacher) Dress the part, this is not the circus.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,563 Posts
in the chamois all day? that's nasty...i'm betting you won't be doing it for long after that first saddle sore shows up.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Duuude just change the shorts get out of those stinky sweaty padded shorts. Go to the bathroom stall it takes TWO Minutes put whatever you want to wear on. Then change back after school it is easy! Don't be freaking out the kids and making them think ill of cyclists!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts