Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what everyone drinks/eats before a ride during and after? I know the distance and time play a key role into this. What do you drink before a 50-60 mile ride at about a 20mph pace and during and after?

Then whats do you do for a 20 mile ride at about a 22mph pace?

Thanks Friends!

·
All or Nothing Baby!!!
525 Posts
hmm...it depends on the time of day you're riding. If it's afternoon, I would just make sure to stay hydrated and eat normal meals, maybe eat a cereal bar or something an hour before you ride. THen take three bars with you on the ride, like cliff bars or even nature valley bars. I see riders eat everything from apples (I used to do this) during rides, to bananas (I saw a guy take three with him on my last weekend group ride of 3 hours), to donuts (my personal favorite mid-ride snack). The main goal with food is eating somethign with calories (2-300 sounds good), but not necessarily completely sugar. And make sure it's something that isn't goign to upset your stomach. Example: I like the honeystinger stuff, but the waffles are a bit too sweet when I've been on the bike more than 2 hours, so I take one of those with me and eat it first, then move on to the rest. I usually eat every 30 minutes, maybe half a cliff bar, but the first time I eat the whole bar so I have it in my system incase I can't eat or just plain forget later on.
And have a bottle of water, and a bottle of energy drink, whatever you like, as long as it doesn't mess up your stomach. Stomach ache on a 3hr bike ride is the WORST!!!!!

I have done LOTS of things for mid-ride food, everything from oreos (wonderful mid-ride food) to chocolate donuts (my fav), to making my own energy bars and eating those. Just be sure to 'test the waters'.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I am sure people will day differently, but for a 20 mile ride at 22-25mph pace I don't even bring a water bottle. I just hydrate before if it is going to be above 90 degrees (at least 30 extra ounces spaced out over 60-90 min close to bed time). After a ride I may eat an extra banana or 2 and put a little more salt on my dinner if I feel extra depleted.

I seldom ride more than 50 miles in a day but when I do I just do water. Once I felt a little sluggish and a quick stop for a frozen cappuccino fixed that. I drink 80oz of water every day and I get more sodium and potassium than I need in my daily diet, so when I sweat it out riding I don't need any special drink.

If you don't stay hydrated during the day, and don't ensure you are getting enough electrolytes in your daily diet, then I am sure plenty of people will respond with their favorite sport drink.

·
Registered
226 Posts
If you're riding less than 2 hrs food isn't a big issue. Over that, I think food (such as cereal bars) take too long for your body to digest and extract the carbs for energy so I would go for easily digested items such as gels or bananas. Bananas are the perfect riding food IMO, cheap and easy.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do hydrate pretty well during the day, so yeah a quick 20 mile ride I normally eat a banana before and just take one bottle of water. I live in Iowa and the himidity here can get pretty crazy plus I sweat like no other, so I have to have at least one bottle.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Beer instead of whiskey. :D

Hydration is a daily activity. If you know you are going to go hard the next day you should drink enough that you have to wake up and pee at least once in the night. I'll add 20 to 30 ounces in the half hour before a ride and drink at least a full bottle each hour I'm riding. I do one bottle with water and one with a sports drink. For food 200-300 calories per hour from gels, blocks, chews, cookies, fruit, and stop for popsicles during the summer.

Even on short rides I still take a water bottle. Riding with cotton mouth is no fun.

The more you ride the more you'll learn about how your body reacts to riding and to what you put in it while you're riding.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
I am sure people will day differently, but for a 20 mile ride at 22-25mph pace I don't even bring a water bottle.
it's going to be 102F today when the group starts our 20-miler.

I'll have two 20-oz bottles onboard and will drain both by the 15 mile mark.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
No matter what, a peanut butter sandwich on wheat bread in the morning. I start drinking water with that. Then if the ride lasts over 40 miles its fig newton cookies and maybe a coke at the rest stop. The coke tends to liven me up once the temps get to over the 90 degree mark. I always have GU packs in my pouch just in case. Once I get home its iced tea and a folding chair while I cool down and watch cycling that has recorded on my DVR.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Just curious what everyone drinks/eats before a ride during and after? I know the distance and time play a key role into this. What do you drink before a 50-60 mile ride at about a 20mph pace and during and after?

Then whats do you do for a 20 mile ride at about a 22mph pace?

Thanks Friends!
20 mile rides nothing other than water. How much depends on the temps. In the winter no water needed, but I will bring a small bottle just in case. For summer then one 25 oz bottle and probably will drink it down. No food needed.

For 50-60 mile riles 3 to 4 bottles (in the summer and depending on possible refill stops) and 1 clif bar and couple gels. I did a 56 mile ride this weekend with some long climbs and did it on one clif bar eaten mid ride. I took 4 bottles due to no reliable water stops on the ride. 2 25 oz, 1 21 oz and a single 16oz disposable bottle. Despite a hot hour long climb I finished with half of my last bottle. I did put some electrolyte tablets in my last bottle and brought two gels just in case.

Before the ride... I ate solid, but light breakfast as I don't like to ride on a full stomach. Homemade vegetable juice, small bowl of granola and nectarine on the way to meet up with guys. We rolled at 5:40 am so I had to get up early to eat. I like to eat slow and let it digest a bit before I ride. 15 min at least. When I got home just more water and lunch.

·
Banned
443 Posts
Any of you try those Genesis Pure products. They have a hydration mix and an energy mix that I just started using. Seems to be working well for me.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Been experimenting with pre-ride foods for months and have finally settled on something that works for me like nothing else. My regular ride these days is between 60-80km, for this I eat a bowl of steamed white rice 1.5-2hrs before riding time, maybe a banana as well depending on how much food I had the night before; with this I don't need to carry additional food, just sugared electrolyte drink in both my bottles and there is no bonking.

For the shorter ride I'd just eat less rice and only carry one bottle out with me.

·
Registered
148 Posts
For a one hour ride no food necessary, just water or sports drink. If it's really hot bring two bottles. Hydration is the most important thing, and for 2+ hour rides start to bring some food, 100-200 calories per hour should be fine. Stay away from spicy foods before a hard ride.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.