Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got to get this off my chest.

I was riding today on my moutain bike, heavy bike like 30 lbs in normal clothes and shoes, but with slick 1" tyres.

I was overtaken by a roadie on an aluminium trek, probably about 20 lbs. I managed to keep up with him by drafting, in my top gear but could see he was on the big chain and 2/3 the way through to the smallest cog on the rear cassette. I lost him when the hills came :(

Would a road bike, wearing clipless pedals and lycra really have made much difference, please comfort me if you can!

·
Registered
277 Posts
If you were on slicks, then it's probably the 10 lbs of bike weight (provided that the riders were equal power/weight). Tight clothing =less air drag, which really doesn't matter going up hill.

Oh, and if you have any suspension, that doesn't help you get power to the wheels...

·
Registered
169 Posts
It sure does make a huge difference. I started road riding on my old Ventana full sus bike several years ago. Even with slicks on I could barely maintain a 13-14 mph average on flat ground over an hour+ ride. This morning I rode the same basic route with my road bike (9+ lbs lighter) and averaged over 18mph with more climbing and 6-8 more miles in total distance in the same amount of time.

Another example:
When my road bike was at the shop last year I brought my new Ventana full suspension bike on a group lunch (road) ride. Luckily the guys I do those rides with are 3-4 mph slower on average than me -- so I was able to keep up -- BARELY! At the end of our one hour ride my HRM calorie counter had my calorie burn 200+ higher than the same ride on my road bike -- and I was worn out. Now if that ride was in the hills -- I woundn't have had a chance.

It all adds up. In my case it was a weight, suspension action and gearing difference. I always wear lycra and use clipless pedals - so those weren't a factor.

mbb

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
The lycra and clipless pedals are basically for your comfort and ease.

Was the reason you couldn't keep up that you were spinning out in top gear? If so, then absolutely the MTB's gears is the issue. If not, then...

If the ground was pretty flat, the WEIGHT of a steel frame probably doesn't matter. I could keep up just fine with fast groups on a 27lb touring bike. It's about resistance:

A front suspension can suck up a lot of power, depending upon the shock and the conditions.

1" slicks are still going to have considerably higher rolling resistance than 23mm road tyres; not so bad, but it makes a difference. They're still a little wider, lower pressure, and also probably have a casing and compound less friendly to fast rolling.

At speeds over 20mph, wind resistance starts to become, logarithmically, the major limiting factor in your ability to get any faster on a flat road. The upright position you must take on most MTBs is much worse to the wind, and, to a lesser extent, so are flapping tshirts, big, round-tubed shocks, etc. etc.

Finally, many casual / recreational MTB riders have their saddles set very, very low, which means it's hard to develop the full power of your pedal stroke that you'd otherwise have.

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
TI_roadracer said:
Just got to get this off my chest.

I was riding today on my moutain bike, heavy bike like 30 lbs in normal clothes and shoes, but with slick 1" tyres.

I was overtaken by a roadie on an aluminium trek, probably about 20 lbs. I managed to keep up with him by drafting, in my top gear but could see he was on the big chain and 2/3 the way through to the smallest cog on the rear cassette. I lost him when the hills came :(

Would a road bike, wearing clipless pedals and lycra really have made much difference, please comfort me if you can!
Me on my trek 8000 with baggies, I can hit 25mph. But I can hold it for 15 seconds.I do more like 14-15. If I'm not spinning my ass off and just riding i can go sickly slow, 11mph or so. thats why i don't have a cyclocomp on the 8000. on a road bike i average 21mph. The upright position kills, as well as the lower saddle position of MTB's; i can't spin very well with most of my muscle. I feel like im on a kids bike if i try and spin at 95rpm. 80 i'm fine with, but 95 i'll die.
A road bike woulda kept you with him. Definitely.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Maybe it was his recovery day.

·
Alien Musician
4,542 Posts
Have you TRIED a road bike? Seriously.

Backstory: I rode for years as a kid and returned to the sport after an eight
year absence when the wife got me a mountain bike. I was quickly addicted.

A friend abandoned a road bike at my place several years before and even
though it wasn't my size I tried it out after a couple of years and wondered
why I waited so long - it was like getting shot out of a catapult.

The SPEED is only part of it - it's a completely different riding style and
feel.

Now I have four bikes - road racer, dual boinger MTB, my old hardtail
is now doing commuter duty and a buddy gave me his recumbent after
he decided he hates everything related to cycling (wish he'd hate some
other stuff he has too).

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All I can say is that I'm mega fit, well maybe. It was sunny today and I managed to catch up with and overtake three commutters, then two road racers, boy were they annoyed.

My feet ache now and my balls feel crushed (always wear cycling shorts)

·
Banned
941 Posts
Exactly. .

MR_GRUMPY said:
Maybe it was his recovery day.
I was riding (easy 18-19 after being sick for two weeks), and some jackas* from a local cycling team drafts behind me for around 5 miles with out asking.
BTW, I live in Virginia Beach and was riding on muddy creek road (on a Colnago C50) in case you're out there as*hole.:rolleyes:

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
It happened to me.
I was out on a recovery ride in our full team kit, when I heard panting behind me. After drafting off me for a mile, he puts in a huge effort to pass me. He turns around to give me the "Lance" look, and slowly pulls away. I guess that he thought that serious riders always train "all-out". I didn't want to pop his bubble, so I continued to ride on the bar tops.
......Some People......

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
jtolleson said:
If your self esteem can't handle getting passed from time-to-time, pick another sport. 'Cause there will always be someone stronger and faster. Always.
for you maybe. but I'm the fastest guy in the world :p semis draft me on my recovery days
-estone2

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.