Votes: 10 4.9%
  • more than 50

Votes: 4 2.0%
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many years have you been riding? I'm talking about "adult" riding, not tooling around the neighborhood on your Stingray or fat tired cruiser when you were 12 years old. I've seen guys who are 25 years old post that they've been riding for 20 years. C'mon, that's not really what I'm looking for. I don't care what style of riding you do, e.g., touring, commuting, racing, etc. Just curious about our combined experience.

My adult riding experience started in 1960, so...49 years for me.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Rode from the time I was old enough until my early 20's then quit. Picked it up again 5 years ago.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,920 Posts
well over 40......I actually got my first road bike in 1963

Now I am DESPERATELY playing the fail game at trying to maintain the whole N+1 formula thing..... can't seem to get there, every time I add ONE I am still ONE behind.......

·
Frog Whisperer
40,920 Posts
Mr. Versatile said:
My adult riding experience started in 1960, so...49 years for me.
yeah but you are REALLY OLD

·
Registered
6 Posts
Started in 1998. Did RTR on a huffy mountain bike from Wally world. If I'd have known then what I know now, I'd have never made it. Needless to say, it was one of the funnest weeks of my entire life, and I've been riding since. I've since put the old Huffy to pasture and I now have an 06 Kestrel Talon and an 08 Specialized Roubaix Pro.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Not as long as I thought

I bought my first real road bike in 1962, but I was not a "serious" cyclist. I have been riding "seriously" 1974-present. There are some lost years in there because of child care problems and work schedule. I retired in Dec 1998 and got back into the sport full boar and became a fully pledged Bike Bum. Right now I am recovering from myocarditis, a virus that effects the heart muscle. I am riding now, was off my bike for 5 weeks. Won't know until June if my heart will fully recover. Right now things are very hard. Hopefully I can ride until the Grim Reaper decides to pull me off my bike on a ride. That's the way I would like to go out. Not of old age sitting in my recliner watching t.v..

·
Registered
797 Posts
When I was a toddler, I found tricycles were faster than crawling, so I've been riding somthing ever scince.
But if you mean riding a road bike, I built my first one from a literal basket case in 86

·
Registered
34 Posts
Since I cant count the hundreds of miles on the great yellow string-ray aka the 'yellow canary' complete with speedometer and bananna seat, I have to say 1980 was the year I got my first real bike. A schwinn Traveler III advertised by the great Jean Claude Killy. ( I really wish I kept that catalog) Did my first or many TOSRV (Tour of Scioto River Valley) with a good friend of mine in 1982 (I think I was 15 at the time) I briefly left for about 3 years where I did little or no riding and for about 3-4 years I went mountain bike all the way. The rest have been road with a little MTB mixed in. So say 28 years give or take.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
A short evolutionary tale...
Quit smoking in '79, gained weight/ lost weight and decided somewhere around the early 80's that I needed to work on my cardio system, so started cycling!

Started out a few miles a few times a week and by '91 had acquired three road bikes and was adding miles and riding more frequently. After a few years it became more of a mental activity than a physical one. If I didn't ride for a couple of days for whatever reason, my mood was affected - adversely. And that continues to this day.

A great sport. It's taught me much and I know I'll never give it up. If some part of my last day on the planet is spent on my bike, I will have had a good life. :thumbsup:

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
Been riding since 1970.
Raced from 1975 -1988.
Ride my FG 38 miles daily.
John

·
Two wheels=freedom!
708 Posts
I was a "Jock" athlete in High School and the guys who rode bikes were sissy's. I was involved in a near fatal car accedent in 1973. Spent almost a year in a hospital, lost 60 pounds, and underwent a number of reconstructive surguries on my right leg. My knee and hip were also badly damaged, so I needed a non-impact way of getting back into shape. Enter my 1975 Atala, silver with low end Campy components. Moved up to a Raliegh with a better frame and wheels in 1978, then to my first "Real" bike in 1982, a Bianchi with Nuovo Record and tubulars. Still have that one... along with 3 other road bikes, three mtn bikes, and a flatbar frankenbike.

Oh, and people who ride bikes are no longer sissy's.

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
Been pedaling bikes since I was around 3 or 4.. been seriously riding for only the past 5 years. I wish I could go back an introduce myself to cycling when I was still in high school.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I'll be 42 next month and I got my first serious bike at the age of 11. Saved all year for a Rampar 10 Speed to upgrade my old Schwinn Jr. Varsity, and started extending my rides. Did my first bike-a-thon that year and finished. So I guess I qualify for the 31+ group.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I was doing loaded touring when I was 16 so that makes it 50 years ago this summer.

·
Satanic Watch Winder
4,839 Posts
My frustration is when they hand out the milage awards at my club banquet each year. I know I have more lifetime miles than most of those people but have now way to prove it. When I started riding in 1973 there were no computers. A year later I got this unit that mounted on the fork. There was a little pin in the spokes that clicked a cog on the unit each time it went by. On a descent, the pin went by too fast which would rotate the cog too far so that the next time it came around it hit the end of the tooth which sounded and felt like a spoke had broken. Later Huret came up with a belt driven odometer, but it only recorded individual rides and you had to record them on paper then reset it like a trip odo in a car. Too much bother as I only cared about my distance for the day. Oh yeah, my first helmet was a Skid-Lid. Don't laugh, there are pictures of Lon Haldeman and a lot of other heavy hitters of the early 80's wearing them.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
Tough question because when I was in the 10-14 range cruising the neighborhood on my Stingray, I not only rode but tore down and rebuilt bikes which is something most adults don't ever do including their "adult riding phase". I didn't count it, but I think I was in deeper than many ever get.

After that, a bit of riding in high school including some events. I didn't count that either.

Next, college. I commuted every day including in the snow and rain. That I counted.

And then a big gap as life got in the way until I was just about 40. 15 year unbroken string of serious riding.

Overall, 20ish.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
Interesting question, in that I don't know where to draw the line between 'juvenile' and 'adult' riding. Speaking personally, I've had a near-constant stream of riding since I was a kid. As a teen and college student, bike = transport in addition to fun, but wouldn't call that 'being a cyclist' for my personal view. But sometime during college, I hooked up with the local Sierra Club cycling group and fell into upgradeitis, riding for the purpose of training for events or races, and so on.

That makes it 25-26 years.

But there are juniors that clearly deserve to count their experience starting at age 14 or even earlier.

Maybe that's where the line should be - when did you start doing rides that you considered 'training.?'

1 - 20 of 33 Posts